Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students have started a yearbook fundraiser; check out the evolution of portrait painting

Today is Friday, Feb. 23, 2018. Here’s what you need to know. 

News from The Post

Here’s a closer look into the art of portrait painting. (The Post)

Some homes in Athens were once part of the Underground Railroad. (The Post

OU’s Housing and Residence Life recently decided to remove the cap of juniors and seniors living in the residence halls on campus. (The Post

Good morning, 

After the tragic event that transpired in Florida last week, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School journalism students have started a fundraiser to print no-ad editions of their yearbook.

The school’s journalism students are planning to commemorate the students and faculty that died during the shooting that took place Feb. 14. 

Printing the yearbook without ads would cost about $3,800 per issue, and the students are trying to reach a fundraising goal of $30,000. They have successfully raised about $2,700 as of Feb. 22. 

Any extra money from the fundraiser will be used to buy new computers and cameras. 

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Athens weather

Friday will be mostly cloudy with a 70 percent chance of rain. High of 70 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

Scores and hame times

Hockey to play against Illinois at the Central States Collegiate Hockey League postseason tournament game at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. (The Post)

Athens Bulldogs will face Vinton County in sectional basketball tournament. (The Post

Ohio softball will head to North Carolina for the Homewood Suites Invitational. (The Post

You might also want to know…

President Donald Trump is in favor of arming teachers with firearms. (The New York Times)

Nursing home employees were charged after not responding to patient who was dying. (The Washington Post)

The Samsung Galaxy S9 will apparently cost more than the iPhone X. (The Verge)

@laila_riaz

lr784616@ohio.edu