Nico Karagosian, the vice president of advancement and executive director of the University of Cincinnati Foundation, speaks during his open forum on Jan. 30. (screengrab via YouTube)

University names new VP of advancement and president/CEO of OU Foundation

Ohio University President Duane Nellis named Nico Karagosian as OU’s new vice president of university advancement, and president and CEO of the Ohio University Foundation on Wednesday. 

Karagosian has worked with the University of Cincinnati Foundation since 2014, where he currently serves as vice president of advancement and executive director. As a member of the UC Foundation’s senior leadership team, Karagosian manages campaign operations, presidential initiatives and communication for the fundraising arm of UC and UC Health.

While at UC, Karagosian helped secure $260 million in donations, pledges and gifts-in-kind in 2016, an institutional record $456 million in 2017 and a total of $1.174 billion since the campaign started on July 1, 2013, according to a university news release. 

At a recent forum, Karagosian said he is “very involved” with UC’s international development and sees engaging international alumni as a university-wide effort that he hopes to bring to OU.

“I started this process probably about a month ago … and there’s just this pride and this commitment that people have toward the university, and it’s really remarkable,” Karagosian said at the forum. “There’s really something special going on here that I would like to be a part of.”

Karagosian has a master's degree in technology management and a master’s degree in health systems administration from State University of New York Polytechnic Institute.

“What I value most from my interactions with Nico is his understanding of the culture of philanthropy and building relationships in a thoughtful and strategic way that focuses on the academic mission of Ohio University,” Nellis said in a news release.

Previously, the role was held by Bryan Benchoff who announced in April that he would be stepping down and leaving to work as the president and CEO of Louisiana State University Foundation and vice president of Institutional Advancement. During the 2016-17 academic year, Benchoff made $265,385.

Karagosian will officially join the university March 19.

“Ohio University has an amazing combination of a storied history and remarkable future,” he said in a news release. “I was immediately impressed by the passion and commitment of alumni, friends, faculty, staff and students, and look forward to becoming part of the Ohio family.”

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu