The exterior of Cutler Hall, located on College Green, which houses the offices of the president, the provost and other senior administrative officers. (Kaitlin Owens / File)

Four OU Finance and Administration staff members are out of the job due to budget reductions

Four employees of the Ohio University Finance and Administration department lost their jobs as a result of university-wide cost-reduction efforts.

That department eliminated 12 positions within the unit to meet budget targets for the upcoming fiscal year, University Spokeswoman Carly Leatherwood said. Eight of those positions were vacant. 

“As we close out this fiscal year and plan for the next, every division is looking at the best way to meet budget targets while focusing on both our academic mission and academic quality,” Leatherwood said in an email. 

The duties of those jobs will be absorbed by other Finance and Administration staff members. 

Last April, 12 positions in the Finance and Administration department were also cut in an effort to increase budget efficiency. Five university staff members were laid off at the time — the other seven positions were vacant.

The layoffs were coupled with $4.9 million in cost reductions submitted by administrative offices, with an additional $4 million in reductions expected in the next two fiscal years, according to a previous Post report. 

Then-Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit said OU’s ability to afford those investments has been hindered by “significant uncertainty” in the OU budget process. 

Uncertainty surrounding future layoffs has caused concern among university faculty and staff. In December, OU President Duane Nellis said it was “still too early” to determine the scope of potential reductions in faculty and staff. 

@sarahmpenix

sp936115@ohio.edu