Check out the 5 biggest moments from the season finale of 'How to Get Away with Murder.' (photo via @howtogetawaywithmurder Instagram)

TV Review: 'How To Get Away With Murder' season finale uncovers more secrets

In the How to Get Away with Murder season four finale, some characters were brought to justice while others were reunited. There were also a few mysteries that emerged and left audiences desperately wanting more. Here are the top five moments from the finale of How to Get Away with Murder

1. The car accident fatality was unveiled

The last episode of How to Get Away with Murder ended with a car accident and an unknown victim. This episode basically opened with the revelation of who had died and it was surprising. The victim was actually the District Attorney, Todd Denver. Audiences expected Bonnie (Liza Weil) to be the victim after Denver realized she was trying to uncover information about him. However, Laurel’s father realized Denver was double-crossing him and had him killed. Denver had been an enemy of the Keating 4 for a long time, so it seems as though they may finally be in the clear with the D.A.'s office.

2. Laurel’s father was finally brought to justice

Annalise (Viola Davis) decided to finally take matters into her own hands in this episode. After Nate (Billy Brown) discovered the hard drive in Denver’s locked file, he brought it to Annalise. Annalise then met with Laurel’s father and offered him the hard drive in exchange for his help. If he wanted the hard drive back, he would have to sign papers that recanted his testimony and gave Laurel (Karla Souza) full custody of her child. Laurel’s father refused to help at first, saying that he loved Laurel more than himself, but Annalise corrupted her. Annalise argued that he was only giving Laurel more pain by keeping her baby away from her. In the end, Laurel’s father agreed to sign the papers, allowing Laurel to be reunited with her baby.

After Laurel had her baby, her father was taken into custody by the FBI. Annalise enlisted the help of Tegan (Amirah Vann), who secretly agreed to turn Laurel’s father in. He was charged for the murder of Denver and tax fraud and likely sent to prison. After tormenting Laurel for so long, audiences were satisfied to see him finally caught.

3. Laurel’s mother is missing

While Laurel’s father had been dealt with, her mother’s fate was more mysterious. In the last episode, Laurel confronted her mother about her involvement in the murder of Wes (Alfred Enoch). After she realized her mother had offered to pay Wes off, she told her mom to kill herself. In this episode, her mother went missing. Laurel’s father suspected Laurel, but she vehemently denied his accusations.

When she was reunited with her baby, Laurel’s father asked Laurel where her mother was, but Laurel said that she didn’t care where she was because they were both dead to her. In the last minutes of the episode, it was revealed that Laurel had deep scratch marks on her arms, suggesting a violent encounter. The question was left unanswered and audiences will have to wait until next season to see what really happened with Laurel and her mother.

4. Annalise won her Supreme Court case

In the crossover episode, Annalise joined forces with Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) from Scandal to argue her civil suit in front of the United States Supreme Court. Annalise argued that poor individuals were unable to afford a suitable lawyer and were often stuck in a cycle of imprisonment because of it. In this episode, the Supreme Court ruled in her favor and revised the rules to help poor individuals and the burdened public defenders.

In an interview, Annalise reflected on her monumental win which secured her national praise as a lawyer. The interviewer asked what Annalise was going to do next, to which Annalise replied, “I don’t know.” Viewers have always known that Annalise was a powerful lawyer, but now the character has proven it to herself. Her answer to the last interview question isn’t delivered in an uneasy or uncertain manner, but rather an ambiguous, positive one as she looks to what is ahead.

5. Simon could be deported

In yet another shocking move, Michaela (Aja Naomi King) got rid of Simon (Behzad Dabu). In the last episode, Annalise promised Simon a visa in exchange for his silence. However, the Keating 4 failed to produce files for Simon that would allow him to be considered a whistleblower. As a result, Simon threatened to go to police and expose the Keating 4. Michaela suggested to Annalise that they report him to Immigrations and Customs Enforcement and have him deported. Annalise was horrified at the thought, saying they couldn’t ruin his life because of their mistakes. In the end, Michaela decided to go against Annalise and report Simon to ICE, resulting in him being taken by them and leaving his fate uncertain.

Michaela has been very aggressive in the last few episodes, which will likely have larger effects in the next season. She has also been extremely ruthless, perhaps signaling a shift in her character. Finally, deporting Simon, who is now openly gay, back to Pakistan could have disastrous effects for the Keating 4.

The episode wrapped with yet another mystery — a secret son. When Nate discovered the hard drive in Denver’s files, he also found a file on each character. In Bonnie’s file, he discovered a note that suggested Bonnie’s son was alive. Also, when Frank (Charlie Weber) checked in to his college orientation, he saw a new character named Gabriel Maddox (Rome Flynn). In a phone call, Frank ominously said, “Her kid’s here.” If the show is renewed for a fifth season, the Keating 4 will have to face all of these new tribulations, but could potentially face their biggest mystery yet with the addition of this new son character.

@Huntergraffice4

Hg551416@ohio.edu