Ohio's Logan Jacik pitches during the Bobcats' game against Dayton on March 4, 2017. (FILE)

Baseball: Ohio no-hit Sunday, splits weekend series with Nebraska-Omaha

Ohio split its series over the weekend with Nebraska-Omaha at Perfect Game's LakePoint facility in Cartersville, Georgia.

After losing Friday, sweeping the Saturday doubleheader and falling victim to a no-hitter Sunday, the Bobcats are now 6-6 on the season.

Friday

Rudy Rott has been Ohio’s offensive anchor early in the season, and Friday was just another example of it.

Rott went 4-for-5, including a two-run home run and a double, as the Bobcats took a five-run lead but ultimately fell 6-5 in the series opener. 

After Rott’s home run pushed Ohio’s lead, though, Nebraska-Omaha scored a run in the fourth and another in the fifth, two in the sixth. The Mavericks tied the game in the seventh and broke the tie with the winning run in the eighth.

Middle reliever Cory Blessing — who pitched three scoreless innings for the Bobcats in a win last weekend — took the loss. Blessing pitched two innings, giving up four hits and two runs.

Saturday

The Bobcats responded Saturday with a sweep of Nebraska-Omaha in the two teams’ doubleheader.

Gerry Salisbury pitched eight innings and gave up just one run on four hits in the 4-1 wins. Though Salisbury was dominant for the Bobcats, the Ohio offense sputtered in the first eight innings, giving Salisbury just one run of support.

With the game tied in the ninth inning, shortstop Trevor Hafner hit an RBI single to score second basemen Aaron Levy to break the tie. Ryan Sargent then provided the Bobcats with two insurance runs, hitting a two-run home run and scoring Hafner.

Jake Roehn came on in the bottom of the ninth and recorded the save, extending his career saves record

The Bobcats won the second game 5-2 behind six innings from starter Butch Baird and a dominant bullpen outing.

Ohio tallied 10 hits, including a 3-for-4 day from Devon Garcia, who also scored a run. Levy added two hits.

After Baird allowed two runs on four hits, Blessing pitched an inning, and Chace Harris recorded a six-out save to secure the win for the Bobcats.

Baird picked up the win, his first of the season.

Sunday

Ohio’s offense was less productive in its 4-0 loss Sunday, as it was the victim of a no-hitter from Nebraska-Omaha’s Payton Kinney.

Kinney pitched a complete-game no-hit shutout, striking out nine and walking four. He threw 140 pitches; 92 were strikes.

The Bobcats, meanwhile, used nine pitchers. Starter Alex Kuster pitched just one inning, allowing two runs — one earned — on three hits before coach Rob Smith went to the bullpen for the final eight innings. 

Though they had just two errors on the weekend entering Sunday, the Bobcats had three in the final game — Hafner, Garcia and pitcher Brett Manis all committed errors.

What's next

The Bobcats will hit the road for a three-game series against Towson, beginning Friday at 2 p.m.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu