Weekender Briefs: Appalachian Hell Betties to host its first home bout of the season; ‘March for Our Lives’ to rally for gun control

Correction appended.

Friday  

Bottle Release at 11 a.m. at Jackie O’s Taproom, 25 Campbell St. Jackie O’s will announce the release of its three new bottles: Cellar Cuvee 1, Athens to Athens Grist To Grist and Elle. The first two bottles cost $11.99 per bottle, and the latter costs $10.99. Admission is free. 

The Local Girls at 6 p.m. in The Dairy Barn Arts Center, 8000 Dairy Lane. The Local Girls will perform as part of the Dairy Barn Winter Music Series. Enjoy a warm evening filled with live music, dancing and local food and drinks. Admission is free. 

Gudger with Weed Demon and TFU at 9 p.m. at The Union Bar and Grill, 18 W. Union St. Gudger is returning to The Union for a night filled with heavy riffs and hard rock music. Weed Demon and TFU will also perform. Admission is $5 for ages 18 to 20 and $3 for ages 21 and above.  

’80s Night with DJ Barticus at 10 p.m. at Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St. Dance all night as DJ Barticus spins popular tunes from the ’80s. Admission is $6 for ages 18 to 20 and $4 for ages 21 and above. 

Saturday

March for Our Lives at 10 a.m. at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. Athens residents and OU students will rally and march for stricter gun control laws in light of the numerous mass shootings across the nation. Admission is free.  

Spring Fling: Appalachian Hell Betties vs. Violet Femmes at 4 p.m. in Ohio University Indoor Tennis Facility, 120 S. Green Drive. Cheer on the Appalachian Hell Betties when it has its first home bout of the season against Dayton’s Violet Femmes. Admission is $10 for tickets purchased online and $12 at the door. 

ARTS/West Drum Jam at 8 p.m. at ARTS/West, 132 W. State St. Join ARTS/West as it hosts a night filled with dancing and drumming. Attendees are welcome to bring their own instruments. Admission is free, but a donation of $5 to $10 is recommended. 

William Shakespeare (Abridged) at 8 p.m. in Baker Center. Experience William Shakespeare’s classic plays with a twist. Lost Flamingo Theatre Company will perform a play that parodies Shakespeare’s stories with only three actors. The event will also take place at 2 p.m. Sunday. Doors open 15 minutes before the show. Admission is $5. 

The Low Anthem at 8 p.m. in Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square, Nelsonville. The Low Anthem will make its way to Nelsonville as part of the band’s Midwest Tour. Cincinnati art-rock band The Ophelias will open the show. Admission is $17 for tickets purchased in advance and $20 at the door.

Crooked Spines, Speaking Suns and Gaptooth Grin at 9 p.m. at Casa Nueva. Get ready to jam with local band Crooked Spines as its joined by Speaking Suns and Gaptooth Grin. The show begins at 10 p.m. Admission is $5 for ages 18 to 20 and $3 for ages 21 and above.

Sunday 

Record Sale at noon at Stuart’s Opera House. Join other record enthusiasts as vinyl records, CDs and more will be on sale at the Stuart’s Opera House Grand Lobby. Come and complete a collection or find a new gem. Admission is free. 

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Run! 5K to Benefit Rural Action at 2 p.m. at Pepsi Tailgreat Park behind Bingham House, 97 Richland Ave. The Ohio University National Science Teachers Association is sponsoring the event in support of Rural Action’s efforts to promote social economic and environmental justice in southeast Ohio. Registration is required and participants can register at the OUNSTA website. Admission is $15 for OU students, $25 for general public and $10 for groups of eight members or more. Children can enter free of charge.

Punch Drunk Tagalongs at 6 p.m. at Jackie O’s Taproom. Watch as indie-rock band Punch Drunk Tagalongs debuts in Athens at Jackie O’s. Admission is free but a donation of $5 is recommended. 

Music: University Singers at 7:30 p.m. at The Church of the Good Shepherd, 64 University Terrace. OU’s School of Music presents The University Singers, a mixed choral ensemble of 40 to 50 singers. Admission is free.

@summerinmae

my389715@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report misstated which day the Appalachian Hell Betties would have their first home bout of the season and the cost of admission for '80s Night at Casa. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.