The Graduate Student Senate meeting on Jan. 23, 2018. (FILE)

Graduate Student Senate: Members voted to create an official stance

Ohio University Graduate Student Senate passed eight resolutions at its last meeting of the academic year. They created an official stance for the body.

According to that resolution, the overlap in GSS’ and Student Senate’s duties cause confusion in the official voice representing graduate students. The resolution calls for university administrators to support and facilitate GSS’ transition for the 2018-19 academic year.

Ellenore Holbrook, Student Senate’s Graduate College senator, expressed concerns about what she thinks was poor management within the creation of that resolution during a "student speak out."

“From a change management theory perspective, the only way to implement strong, positive change is to openly communicate with stakeholders, actively involve all parties and get everyone on board,” Holbrook said. “I have yet to see this occur with this resolution.”

The Senate Appropriations Commission, or SAC, which provides funding for student organizations, is run by Student Senate. Holbrook said if GSS separates itself from senate, graduate student organizations may not be able to receive funding from SAC, according to a previous Post report

“I am a firm believer that GSS and Student Senate should be separated, however, this is not how it should be done,” Holbrook said. “Currently, there are major gaps in the way that this will proceed and it’s going to have major implications long-term for graduate students.”

Christie Thiessen, GSS representative for the psychology department, said it seems intuitive that GSS should represent graduate students to improve clarity and reduce confusion.

“This is taking a step forward, this is not cutting ties right now,” Thiessen said. “This is the beginning of a long process that will certainly include diverse stakeholders.”

Body members also passed three resolutions allocating funds toward GSS initiatives. One resolution will provide a plaque for winners of the Outstanding Graduate Faculty award. The plaque will cost up to $120 and will be located in Baker Center, according to the resolution. 

GSS passed four resolutions related to internal affairs, including updating its election process. Instead of hiring a GSS Board of Elections chair, the body will allow senators to be selected by each colleges' dean. 

As for executive members, they will be self- or peer-nominated toward the end of Fall Semester and candidates will be announced before winter break, Daniel Williams, senator for the Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs, said. 

“The current process adds unnecessary administrative work to the executive council and the body as a whole,” Williams said. “This resolution will allow GSS’ election process to better fit the needs of our body."

All graduating members received chords at the end of the meeting. In a teary-eyed final report, GSS President Maria Modayil said she was proud of the progress the body made throughout the year, especially with the communication between GSS and university administrators.

All members for the 2018-19 academic year were inducted at the end of the meeting. 

Members also heard a presentation from Associate General Counsel Grant Garber about the newly revised “Freedom of Expression” policy. 

@juIaphant 

je827416@ohio.edu