Nicole Schneider (left) and Landen Lama go over the agenda at the first Student Senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Aug. 30, 2017. (FILE)

Student Senate comments on proposed Freedom of Expression policy in final meeting of year

In its final meeting of the 2017-18 academic year, Ohio University Student Senate passed 24 resolutions and three bills. 

Among the legislation passed was a bill commenting on the university’s new proposed Freedom of Expression policy.

“We specifically chose to comment on it because there are parts of the policy that we agree with and parts that we disagree with,” newly appointed Student Senate President Maddie Sloat said. “Overall, we are commending the university. This is a drastic change from the original policy.” 

The bill expresses disapproval of two aspects of the proposed policy: the decision to prohibit protests in the Baker Center Rotunda, and the fact that the OU Police Department is able to decide whether or not an action is “disruptive.” 

Senate’s bill suggests cooperation between the Division of Student Affairs and OUPD to determine if an action is “truly disruptive to the university’s activities and operations.” 

Members also passed a bill requesting more diversity and inclusion when it comes to hiring university faculty members. 

“Ohio University lacks diversity in faculty, administration and mentor positions for students of color and this is evident when compared to the student population,” the bill states. 

The bill requests that the ethnic makeup of all faculty should be at least 35 percent non-white by 2027. It will also require the newly appointed vice president for diversity and inclusion to submit annual reports regarding faculty diversity to Student Senate.

“This is personally something that is near and dear to my heart because I’ve experienced this. There's a lack of representation in faculty, so there’s always a lack of mentorship,” Imani Evans, Black Affairs Commissioner and primary sponsor of the bill, said.  

Members passed a bill of support for the university’s recent decision to create a vice president for diversity and inclusion position. 

Of the 24 resolutions passed, 22 appointed members to new positions. 

One resolution awarded a Bobcat Medal to Paula Horan-Moseley, the service safety director of the City of Athens, and another awarded senior honors to a senate commissioner. 

At the end of the meeting, members of the newly elected Bridge Ohio ticket were sworn into office. 

In his final moments as Student Senate president, Landen Lama thanked the body for their hard work and reminded members of their capabilities as members of the organization.

“We are the democratically elected body on campus that represents all students,” Lama said. “People need to know who you are because ... you can change anything on Ohio University’s campuses, as long as you put the work in. ”

@flanneryjewell

fj206516@ohio.edu