Sam and Dean help Gabriel with some unfinished business. (via @cw_supernatural on Instagram)

TV Review: Gabriel took care of some ‘Unfinished Business’ on ‘Supernatural’

Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Sam (Jared Padalecki) helped Gabriel (Richard Speight, Jr.) in Thursday’s episode of Supernatural titled “Unfinished Business.” 

The episode opened with Gabriel injured from in fight.  

Sam and Dean arrived in Texas because they were given a tip that Gabriel was there. The boys didn’t get far because Gabriel was at their door, bloody and in need of help and grace. Unfortunately, the boys used the grace to open the rift. Before Gabriel explained himself, the monsters that did the number on him showed up at the motel. 

After a scuffle and dead monsters, Gabriel explained. Right after Gabriel faked his death in season 5, he needed a safe haven. He turned to Loki and his sons, the Norse demigods. In the middle of a sweet deal filled with sex and alcohol, the Norse clan sold Gabriel out to Asmodeus, which we now know is how Gabriel was tortured. Now, Gabriel wanted to avenge his pain and betrayal by Loki and his three sons, two of whom Gabriel already killed.

In the middle of the explanation, Dean asked if Gabriel was still Loki, which he was. Way back when, Gabriel saved Loki’s life and when Gabriel wanted to escape Michael and Lucifer’s fighting, Loki let Gabriel assume Loki’s identity.

The boys agreed to help Gabriel if he returned the favor. They found the last son whom Gabriel effortlessly stabbed. Amid the scuffle, Dean sneaked off to kill Loki by himself. Loki informed Dean that Gabriel was responsible for killing Odin, Loki’s father. Dean went in for the kill but forgot Loki was the original trickster. The Loki that Dean talked to was a hologram and the real Loki ran into Gabriel and stuck a blade into Loki’s chest, completing his revenge mission.

The episode continued to hint at Dean sacrificing himself in the near future. 

Throughout the season, Dean has been depressed and suicidal, feeling guilty and worthless. In the episode, Sam asked Dean why he went after Loki alone. 

“You died and went to hell,” Dean comes back with. “I don’t care what happens to me, I never really have. But I do care about what happens to my brother.” 

Sam is not having it and answers with “we're going to that place and we're gonna save Jack and mom together. And if something happens, we will deal with it together. And if we die, we'll do that together too.” 

As the series nears its end, there is some speculation about what will happen to the brothers. Jensen Ackles has gone on record about a double suicide. 

“Maybe the other brother tries it out and just can’t do it,” the actor said. “Maybe he turns a totally different corner and kind of becomes something he never thought he would become. I kind of view it like the movie Where the Red Fern Grows. I think it’s going to be like that. When one brother goes, the other brother is not far behind.” 

Overall, the episode was OK. Gabriel’s plot was a little complicated and needed a season 5 refresher, but it was nice to see Richard Speight Jr. direct and act in the episode. On the flip side, the episode was mostly action-packed, but it was hard to ignore Dean’s recklessness and willingness to injure himself for the “greater good.” 

Supernatural airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on The CW. 

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu