Rick finally got some closure on 'The Walking Dead.' (photo via @danaigurira Twitter account) 

TV Review: Rick finally read Carl's letter on 'The Walking Dead'

On Sunday’s episode of The Walking Dead, Rick was determined to catch the Saviors who escaped Hilltop and Jadis dealt with Negan. Here are the top moments from Sunday’s episode of The Walking Dead on AMC:

Rick and Morgan caught the Saviors

The episode began with Rick (Andrew Lincoln) wanting to go after the Saviors who escaped from Hilltop in the previous episode. Michonne (Danai Gurira) urged him to stay and read the letter Carl (Chandler Riggs) wrote before he died. Consistent with his recent obsession to kill, Rick refused to stay and chased after the Saviors.

At the same time, Morgan (Lennie James) decided to follow the Saviors with Carol (Melissa McBride) and find Henry, the little boy who was taken. While searching, Morgan started hallucinating about Henry’s brother who was killed. Carol told him they’ll both survive all of it, but he felt too overwhelmed by all of the death he had seen. Eventually, Carol went home and Morgan found Rick. The two found the escaped Saviors but were knocked out in a sneak attack. When they woke up, they found themselves in an abandoned warehouse, held captive by the Saviors. Rick urged them to come back to Hilltop and pretend it never happened, but the outspoken Savior refused.

A herd of walkers then descended on the warehouse, killing many of the Saviors. Rick was able to escape from his bonds and free Morgan. They then went on a massacre and killed all of the Saviors despite the warnings they heard previously from Michonne and Carl. Rick is on a very dangerous path as he continues to kill without mercy and refuses to heed Carl’s warning. Most likely, this will culminate in the finale as he wrestles with the idea of killing more people, perhaps even the idea of killing Negan.

Jadis captured Negan

After Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) was kidnapped by Jadis (Pollyanna McIntosh) a few episodes ago, his fate was left unknown to viewers. In this episode, Jadis had Negan tied to a cart that she wheeled out into the Heaps, which was where her people lived before they were killed by Negan’s men. Negan questioned what she was doing, but Jadis sat silently until her watch started beeping. At that point, she wheeled a zombie in, seemingly to kill Negan with it. Of course, because it’s The Walking Dead, Negan miraculously grabbed a flare and a gun and began shooting at Jadis. He threatened to burn her pictures with the flare until she wrestled it away from him.

Shockingly, Jadis’s watch started beeping again and a helicopter appeared. Without the flare, she was unable to get the attention of the helicopter and it flew away, resulting in a mystery for everyone who saw it. Negan then launched into a story about his wife, Lucille, and how he maintains her memory by carrying around his bat named Lucille. Somehow, he convinced Jadis to let him go and drove off into the night.

Rick finally read Carl’s letter

Despite Michonne urging him to read the letters Carl left, Rick refused. Instead, he continued his path of violence and that was shown in this episode when he killed the Saviors. When he got back to the Hilltop, Rick decided to finally read the letter. He seemed to be very affected by the letter, but the episode ended before the audience could figure out what it said.

Going forward, the letter will likely play a huge role as Carl’s final words to his father begin to make sense. Rick will likely understand that he can’t kill everyone if he wants to continue the society that they have built. Hopefully this change in thought will occur and will end the slaughter that Rick has been committing. All of these elements will likely come into play in the finale and have enormous effects for everyone involved.

@huntergraffice4

hg551416@ohio.edu