Image provided via Wikimedia Commons

Fans pay tribute to Anthony Bourdain, Kate Spade on Twitter

Anthony Bourdain, the renowned chef and writer, took his life Friday at 61. He stole the hearts of his TV audience where he explored “culture, cuisine and the human condition” for nearly two decades, CNN reports.

Bourdain died in France where he was working on an upcoming episode of esteemed CNN series, Parts Unknown.

A close friend and French chef, Eric Ripert, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

“It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain,” CNN said in a statement. “His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink, and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time.”

Bourdain was also attributed for encouraging Asia Argento, his girlfriend, to go public with allegations against Harvey Weinstein. 

“(Bourdain) gave all of himself in everything that he did,” Argento said. “He was my love, my rock, my protector. I am beyond devastated."

Bourdain’s death comes just days after iconic fashion designer Kate Spade, 55, died by suicide Tuesday morning. She was found in her Manhattan apartment. 

Spade created an iconic “handbag line that bridged Main Street and high-end fashion,” reports CNN. Her brand, Kate Spade New York, has more than 140 retail shops and outlet stores across the U.S. and more than 175 stores internationally.

The company released a statement about her death: “Although Kate has not been affiliated with the brand for more than a decade, she and her husband and creative partner, Andy, were the founders of our beloved brand. Kate will be dearly missed. Our thoughts are with Andy and the entire Spade family at this time.”

Suicide is now considered a public health issue, not just a mental health one. The CDC issued a survey showing suicide rates increased 25 percent throughout the country over 20 years ending in 2016, and 25 states faced a rise in suicides by more than 30 percent.

The Washington Post reports that “nearly 45,000 suicides occurred in the United States in 2016 — more than twice the number of homicides — making it the 10th-leading cause of death. Among people ages 15 to 34, suicide is the second-leading cause of death.”

Devastated fans of both icons took to Twitter to remember their lives and provide support: 

If you are experiencing thoughts of suicide, you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline  at 1.800.273.8255. Ohio University Counseling and Psychological Services can be reached at 740-593-1616.

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu