Police cars parked outside the Athens Police Department on Sept. 18, 2017. (FILE)

Man arrested for impersonating an officer and brandishing a BB gun at Walmart

The Athens Police Department arrested a Guysville man who was impersonating an Athens County Sheriff’s deputy and armed with a BB gun at the Athens Walmart on Tuesday afternoon.

Justin Pennington, 32, was charged with inducing panic and impersonating an officer, according to an APD press release. More charges may be pending. Pennington was transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail and is scheduled to appear in Athens County Municipal Court on Wednesday. 

The incident began at Petland where the suspect was reported to have brandished a firearm and claimed to be an officer. When APD responded the subject had left so they contacted Walmart asset protection officers who told the police that the suspect was seen approaching customers in Walmart. 

“Athens Police received an additional call from a Walmart customer. This customer reported the male approached her and claimed to be a police officer. The subject approached other customers, represented himself as a police officer, and tried to get customers to assist him in locating another male whom he claimed was on the most wanted list,” according to the press release.

APD Lieutenant Nick Magruder said Pennington was not wearing a sheriff’s uniform and did not point the BB gun at anyone. He said that despite rumors on social media that there was an attempted kidnappping in the case, that it “did not occur from our aspect.”

Pennington was arrested without incident, where APD discovered the presence of the BB gun.

Walmart and Petland did not comment on the arrest.

@ShillcockGeorge

gs261815@ohio.edu