53 citations and arrests reported over welcome weekend

Campus and city police reported 53 citations and arrests during the weekend while festivities rang in the new school year throughout Ohio University’s campus and the city of Athens. 

According to Ohio University Police Department and Athens Police Department reports, there were 31 citations and arrests for drug and alcohol violations — such as marijuana paraphernalia and possession, underage consumption and disorderly conduct — were issued during welcome weekend.

“I feel like APD and OUPD does their job pretty well,” Kaitlyn Hitchcock, a senior studying psychology, said. “I feel like we are a pretty easygoing campus and there’s obviously partying, but it doesn’t get too out of hand, but they do a good job of keeping it under control.”

OUPD arrested and issued citations to 23 people on welcome weekend. There were 11 citations for marijuana possession and paraphernalia and four citations for underage consumption and alcohol violations. 

The number of drug and alcohol citations issued by OUPD have remained similar throughout the past three years. According to a previous Post report, there were 20 alcohol and drug citations issued in 2017, while there were 23 in 2016.

In 2018, APD officers had 30 total arrests. Seven arrests were for alcohol related incidents, including disorderly conduct and driving under the influence. Nine other arrests were for underage consumption. 

APD’s number of arrests have decreased since 2016. In 2016, there were 41 total arrests on Friday and Saturday of welcome weekend. In 2017, APD had 21 arrests. 

“I think (the amount of crimes) is somewhat normal although I am a bit surprised by the numbers though I will say that I usually don’t see too much of it,” said Hitchcock. “Might just be a crazy year.”

OUPD and APD also had 22 reports of disorderly conduct, assault, theft, traffic violations, destruction of property and menacing over the weekend. 

@ShillcockGeorge

gs261815@ohio.edu