Members of the Athens City Council discuss an ordinance with during Council's meeting. (FILE)

City Council: Council members to discuss Northwest Bike Path Spur and Title Seven traffic code

Athens City Council members will meet to discuss phase three of the Northwest Bike Path Spur at Monday night's meeting. 

Phase three of the bike path will connect the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway from Armitage Road to University Estates Boulevard. Two major roadways will be eliminated, including three intersections with State Route 682, but the existing Hockhocking Adena Bikeway will remain open during construction. 

Construction is set to be complete in September 2019. The program has given the City of Athens a total of $311,659 by the Transportation Alternatives Program Funds.

The City of Athens has seen large growth over the past five years, as well as the addition of a large housing complex and medical offices. The bike path intends to connect growing parts of the city.

The planning and development committee will also discuss possible modifications to the Title VII Traffic Code. 

The exact details of these modifications are not known yet, but the discussion is likely to include changes to parking rules and regulations. 

@ericatracy7

et789215@ohio.edu