John Legend reached EGOT status on Sunday when he won an Emmy for 'Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert.' (via @johnlegend on Instagram)

John Legend became the first black man to achieve EGOT status — here are the other winners

Entertainers everywhere dream of one day winning one of the huge and highly coveted awards: an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar or a Tony. But there is an elite group that has not one, but all four, and Sunday night John Legend became one of the newest additions. Here is a list of all the competitive EGOT winners along with a few honorary:

1. Barbra Streisand 

Though her name may bring a catchy tune to many of our heads, her work as an actress and musician is truly extraordinary. She’s won four Emmy awards, eight Grammys, two Academy Awards and the Special Tony Award: Star of the Decade (1970), making her an honorary EGOT winner. Next time you’re looking for a new song, try looking up this Broadway dame.

2. Richard Rodgers

His work as a composer is truly outstanding, and he was the first official EGOT winner. Though his name may not be super familiar to everyone, some of his most famous works are known by all. Rogers received an Emmy for his work in Winston Churchill: The Valiant Years, two Grammy Awards, one of those for The Sound of Music, an Academy Award for his work in State Fair, and six Tony awards, including one for The King and I

3. Helen Hayes

Helen Hayes truly is one of the greatest actresses of all time, so it only makes sense that she is in the exclusive group of EGOT winners. The years of her wins range from 1932 to 1977. She won an Emmy for her work in Schlitz Playhouse of Stars, a Grammy award for Great American Documents, two Academy Awards for The Sin of Madelon Claudet and Airport and three Tony Awards.

4. Rita Moreno

Moreno’s character Anita from West Side Story won her an Academy Award in 1961 and is a favorite for many people, especially theater fans. However, her work goes far beyond that movie-musical classic. Her other accolades include two Emmy awards for The Muppet Show and The Rockford Files, one Grammy for The Electric Company and a Tony award for The Ritz. 

5. James Earl Jones 

James Earl Jones is one of the most recognizable people in the entertainment industry. Whether you know him as Mr. Mertle from The Sandlot or as the voice of Darth Vader, everyone knows him and his voice from something. He has won two Emmys, a Grammy for Great American Documents, two Tony awards for The Great White Hope and Fences, and an Academy Honorary Award in 2012, solidifying his honorary EGOT win. 

6. Quincy Jones

Quincy Jones is a celebrated singer, record producer and film producer. He has one of the biggest collection of Grammy awards, 27, which span over 10 different genres. His musical success is undeniable, and his EGOT achievement is well-deserved. He won an Emmy award for Roots, the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award at the 1994 Academy Awards and a Tony for The Color Purple in 2016. He joins the likes of Jones and Streisand for the honorary EGOT.

7. John Gielgud

Gielgud is a famous British actor and theater director. He won an Emmy for his work in Summer’s Lease, a Grammy for Ages of Man, an Academy Award for Arthur and Tony awards for The Importance of Being Earnest and Big Fish, Little Fish. 

8. Tim Rice

Tim Rice is an author and lyricist, whose works are very well known. He won an Emmy on Sunday for his work on Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, a Grammy for Aladdin, three Academy Awards and two Tony awards for Evita and one for Aida.

9. Mel Brooks 

Mel Brooks is the definition of a versatile entertainer. He is a celebrated director, screenwriter, comedian, actor, producer, composer and songwriter. It’s no wonder he won an EGOT because he is so dedicated to the entertainment industry. He won several Emmys for his work, and he won a Grammy, an Academy Award and a Tony award for The Producers. 

10. Christopher Plummer

Christopher Plummer is a highly celebrated Canadian actor, whose honorary EGOT awards range from 1974 to 2011. He has won two Emmys for Arthur Hailey’s The Moneychangers, a Grammy Hall of Fame Award, an Academy Award for Beginners and two Tony awards for Cyrano and Barrymore

11. Liza Minnelli

Liza Minnelli is the daughter of Hollywood dame Judy Garland, but she made a name for herself in the industry by becoming a celebrated actress, musician and an honorary EGOT winner. She won an Emmy for her show Liza with a ‘Z’: A Concert for Television, a special Grammy award, an Academy Award for Cabaret and three Tony awards.

12. Harry Belafonte 

His awards are as fancy as his last name, and he is a celebrated singer, songwriter and actor. He won an Emmy for Tonight With Belafonte: “The Revlon Revue,” two Grammys, the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award in 2014, which makes him an honorary EGOT winner, and a Tony award for John Murray’s Almanac.

13. Scott Rudin

Scott Rudin is a highly celebrated producer. He won an Emmy for his work on He Makes Me Feel Like Dancin’, a Grammy award for The Book of Mormon Original Broadway Cast Recording, an Academy Award for No Country For Old Men, and a total of 13 Tony awards, including ones for The Book of Mormon and Death of a Salesman.

14. Mike Nichols 

Mike Nichols is a versatile and decorated theater director, producer, actor and comedian. He holds four Emmy Awards, a Grammy Award for An Evening with Mike Nichols and Elaine May, an Academy Award for The Graduate and nine Tony awards, including The Real Thing.

15. Robert Lopez

The works of Robert Lopez are heard often and are very well loved. He won an Emmy for the children’s show Wonder Pets, three Grammy awards for The Book of Mormon Original Cast Recording and Frozen, Academy Awards for both Coco and Frozen and three Tony awards, one for Avenue Q and two for The Book of Mormon. He’s the man responsible for “The phone, the phone is ringing” and “Let It Go,” so think of him the next time those tunes are stuck are in your head.

16. Audrey Hepburn

Audrey Hepburn is a Hollywood classic and a beloved actress that transcends generations. Through her contributions in the entertainment industry or her charitable works, she is loved by many. She won her Emmy for Gardens of the World with Audrey Hepburn, a Grammy for Audrey Hepburn’s Enchanted Tales, an Academy Award for Roman Holiday and a Tony award for Ondine. She also stars in classics like Breakfast at Tiffany’s and My Fair Lady

17. Marvin Hamlisch

Marvin Hamlisch is a famous composer whose EGOT awards range from 1973 to 1995. He won four Emmy awards. He won four Grammy awards for The Way We Were, two Academy awards for The Way We Were and one for The Sting and a Tony award for A Chorus Line

18. Jonathan Tunick

Jonathan Tunick is a celebrated composer in the entertainment industry. He won an Emmy for his work on Night of 100 Stars, a Grammy for his work on No One is Alone, an Academy Award for A Little Night Music and a Tony award for Titanic

19. Whoopi Goldberg

She is one of the most well-known and respected people in the industry. Her works range from movie-musicals to a sassy daytime talk show. She has won two Emmys, a Grammy award for Whoopi Goldberg: Original Broadway Show Recording, an Academy Award for Ghost and a Tony award for Thoroughly Modern Millie

20. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber is an amazing composer and musical genius. He has been, and continues to be, extremely successful in the entertainment industry. He won his Emmy for Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert this year, he won three Grammys for his work and also received the Grammy Legend Award, an Academy Award for You Must Love Me and five Tony Awards, including the Lifetime Achievement in Theatre in 2018. If you haven’t seen or watched The Phantom of the Opera, drop what you are doing and go watch it. 

21. John Legend 

John Legend has achieved all four awards in only 12 years, and he is the first black person to reach this milestone. Legend won an Emmy for starring in Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert on Sunday. He is well known for songs like All of Me and Glory (and for his wife being hysterical on Twitter). He has won 10 Grammys, including 2006’s Best New Artist, an Academy Award for Selma and a Tony award for Jitney

@AliceDemith

ad441517@ohio.edu