Colin Jost and Michael Che hosted the 70th annual Primetime Emmy Awards on Monday. (Photo via @nbcsnl on Instagram)

‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ take home top awards at 70th Primetime Emmy Awards

The 2018 Primetime Emmy Awards aired Monday night with hosts Colin Jost and Michael Che. The awards cover everything from drama series that make audiences cry their eyes out to comedy shows that make people laugh until their stomachs hurt. Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel took home five awards, and HBO’s Game of Thrones won Best Drama Series. From the opening skit to the biggest winners and losers of the night, here are some highlights from 70th annual ceremony: 

The Proposal

During Glenn Weiss’ speech for Outstanding Directing in a Variety Show things took an exciting turn. The director of the most recent Academy Awards began his speech and then professed his adoration for his girlfriend, Jan Svendsen. He mentioned how he hated calling her his girlfriend and then proceeded to propose. 

”You wonder why I don’t like to call you my girlfriend? Because I want to call you my wife,” Weiss said. 

Jan then proceeded to get on stage and accepted Weiss proposal. To add more tears into the mix, Weiss proposed with his recently deceased mother’s wedding ring. Who would’ve thought the Emmys would have brought on so many tears?

Colin Jost and Michael Che

On a less exciting note, Saturdnay Night Live cast members Colin Jost and Michael Che hosted. The duo is known for its Weekend Update skit on SNL, yet last night proved the TV show sketch may be their only notable performances.

Whether it was their star-studded but lackluster opening skit that claimed Hollywood solved diversity to their boring monologue, or their odd and horribly dry ongoing skit with Maya Rudolph and Fred Armisen, well, it just didn’t work. At least they can go celebrate SNL’s win for Outstanding Variety Sketch Series. 

The biggest winner of the night

The night had many big wins, and also many repetitive winners. Starting off the night strong and, overall, taking home the most wins, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was in full force. 

The Amazon Original series dominated the comedy category and took home a total of five awards. Rachel Brosnahan won Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, Alex Borstein took home Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, showrunner Amy Sherman-Palladino took home back-to-back awards for Outstanding Writing and Directing for a Comedy Series, and lastly the series won Outstanding Comedy Series. 

The most unexpected win

Though it seems many fans were pulling for Seven Seconds’ Regina King, even the actress herself was surprised by her win for Lead Actress in a Limited Series. 

Taking the stage, King was obviously bewildered and then went on to explain how she was speechless because she didn’t expect to be accepting the award. King’s win for the Netflix series marked the first win for a person of color throughout the show up to that point in the show, something that rubbed some viewers the wrong way

The biggest snub 

The most surprising snub of the night was Donald Glover’s Atlanta. The FX show was nominated 16 times but only took home three non-televised wins. 

The show won Outstanding Cinematography For a Single-Camera Series, Outstanding Sound Editing For a Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation and Katt Williams nabbed Outstanding Guest Actor In A Comedy Series. 

Here’s how fans of the show reacted:

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu