Members of Faculty Senate vote on a issue during their meeting on January 9, 2017.  

Faculty Senate: Members discuss sexual assault on campus, resolution on calendar days

Ohio University President Duane Nellis and Executive Vice President and Provost Chaden Djalali opened OU Faculty Senate’s first meeting of the academic year Monday night.

Nellis focused on three key areas to improve the university’s success. Topics included student success, academic engagement and expansion of the honors program. He also talked about increasing graduation rates and ensuring financial stability.

“If we can get that next tier of really high quality students with our expanded honors program, I think we have opportunities to create a different dynamic for us” Nellis said. 

Djalali is partnering with interim Honors Tutorial College Dean Cary Frith to expand the honors program for the upcoming school year. Their goal is to build a strong and reputable core, Nellis said. 

Nellis went on to address the recent sexual assault reports.

“It sickens me, the number of cases,” Nellis said. 

He also gave an update that CATCAB is now offering additional shuttles to reassure students of their precautionary options. 

Faculty Senate Chair Joe McLaughlin closed the meeting with a resolution to postpone the vote on the specification of the word “days.” 

He plans to additionally clear any confusion on the definition between summer “term” and “break.” 

“The resolution empowers me to make sure that we’re being consistent on this,” McLaughlin said.  

Faculty Senate will meet again Oct. 8 in Walter Hall 235 at 7:10.

@Reneetedian

rd063317@ohio.edu