Ohio Wide receiver Shane Hooks lines up before the play during Ohio's game against UC on September 22, 2018.

Football: Final thoughts from Ohio's 34-30 loss to Cincinnati

There was a sense of understanding around Ohio after of its loss to Virginia. Players were open about their struggle of starting games well, the secondary allowing big pass plays and the running game being close to non-existent. They talked about the small things, such as technique, that could be improved. 

“Some of the things happening are just bad technique,” coach Frank Solich said a week ago. “Then, making sure that we're assignment oriented and not having a guy bust here or there that causes a big and explosive gain when nine or ten guys are playing really well and one guy is not. It's getting everyone on the same page." 

All looked as if it had been fixed in the first half against Cincinnati on Saturday at Nippert Stadium. The Bobcats jumped out to an early lead, quarterback Nathan Rourke was elusive, while the running backs were finally able to show why they think they’re the best in the Mid-American Conference. Meanwhile, the defense had no problem knocking down passes and managing the Bearcats’ ground game. 

That changed in the second half when Cincinnati showed why its physical and undefeated, starting the third quarter with a deep touchdown pass to start momentum. It unraveled from there. 

All the understanding seemed to be gone as Ohio lost its second straight game on national television, this one a heartbreaking 34-30 loss at Nippert Stadium. 

For now, final thoughts from Ohio’s best played game of the season:

Passing game can survive with a down game White

On Saturday the Bobcats top wideout, redshirt senior Papi White, was targeted 10 times, but only came down with two receptions. That was because of the Bearcats focus on White, always making sure he was covered and forced to make an effort to catch every ball. 

The best example of that was on Ohio’s last offensive play of the day, when Rourke rolled out to his right, but White was covered and slipped. The play resulted in an interception, ending the Bobcats’ chances of a comeback. 

Still, Rourke worked around the down game from White. He operated through Cam Odom who finished with a career-high 114 yards on five receptions. Countless times the redshirt sophomore wide receiver made diving plays, or should his ability to stretch the field. 

For Solich, it shows that this may be the deepest group of receivers he’s ever had. For Rourke, it means he can throw to other people than Odom. 

“I think he showed what he's capable of and, obviously, if you get the ball his way enough times, he's going to make catches,” Solich said. “If you get over 100 yards as a receiver, you're probably feeling pretty good about your day. He's progressed, and I'm glad to see his abilities show. Sometimes, it doesn't show quite as well when he's had the opportunity, but I'm glad to see him play the way he did. It adds to the quality of the receivers that we have."

No complete game

Against Howard and Virginia, the Bobcats were faced with overcoming deficits of 13 points and 28 points, respectively. Against the Bearcats, Ohio got to play with a 21-point lead, but found itself trailing in the closing minutes. 

The Bobcats haven’t played a complete football game yet, and that’s concerning for a team entering its last week of nonconference play, picked to win the MAC. 

“We solved the issue of the slow start,” Solic said. “We still have the other issues as we all know to get to be what we want to be. Obviously, the first half was a great first half for us. Third quarter, they completed a long pass right away that changed the momentum very quickly, from that it became a ballgame. I felt I could have helped our team a little better in that situation than what I did. We got some things we need to get better at, but I think the good thing about this football team is that they go to work at those things." 

Instead of focusing on starting strong, the Bobcats will have to work on playing with a lead. Running back A.J. Ouellette said that finishing games is a mental thing, and if there’s a physical issue you can’t fix it. You win game in the weight room during the summer. 

Defensive struggles in crucial moments 

During the first half, Ohio seemed to look like the team it was supposed to be. Rourke making great plays, a running game which was efficient and a defense that was forcing teams to pass that were being broken up. 

In the second half, the Bobcats seemed to revert back to their old self. They were gashed by running back Michael Warren II, who eventually ran for the game-winning touchdown. Multiple times the Bearcats rolled out tight end Josiah Deguara for screens that resulted in chunks of 10 to 12 yard gains. 

The worst came early in the third quarter on a deep fade route, which swung momentum to the Bearcats side. 

Early in the fourth quarter, Jayshon Jackson was open on a fade route because the Bobcats had linebacker Dylan Conner covering him in the slot. An obvious mismatch, Cincinnati took advantage and only put them one score down. 

Extra points:

• Chukwudi Chukwu exited Saturday’s game and never returned. He limped off the field with an ankle injury. 
  • Punter Michael Farkas said he couldn’t definitely feel the hard hit on him when he bobbled a snap in the first half. 
  • Solich took credit for the loss and said that he should’ve voiced his opinion more in play calling. That’s the second time in three weeks that he’s mentioned play calling in his weekly press conference. "I can override it at any time, no question. I do sometimes on both sides of the ball, but the majority of the plays are called by our coordinators." 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu