The Graduate Student Senate meeting on Jan. 23, 2018. (FILE)

Graduate Student Senate: Members will discuss new appointees

Ohio University Graduate Student Senate will have its second meeting of Fall Semester on Tuesday. 

During the meeting, Senate members will hear a presentation from Assistant Dean of Students Kathy Fahl about the food pantry and microgrants. Members will also discuss the appointment of new members.

“The overarching goal of GSS is to improve the graduate student experience. We have specific goals or initiatives from year-year too,” GSS President Maria Modayil said in an email. 

At the beginning of each meeting, members will have the opportunity to listen to university officials and other support services related to graduate students through presentations. 

The group will also be discussing the appointment of new members.

“Currently our body has the potential for 76 members. We have several open positions and I encourage anyone who is interested in serving and giving back to make the lives of current and future graduate students better to apply,” Modayil said in an email. 

While GSS is still unsure of what exactly its focused topics will be this year, it is hoping to have a retreat with GSS senators and executives to finalize some things. 

Modayil said they will be going to look at some of the same initiatives they began in the previous year, such as health insurance subsidies and insurance design, GSS independence and financial equity with other Senates, 

The group will meet at 7:00 p.m. in Walter Hall 235.

@cmwritrix 

cm335617@ohio.edu