Hooked Deals is a free mobile app for college students to discover exclusive, short-term offers from restaurants around campus. (PHOTO ILLUSTRATION)

New app, Hooked Deals, looks to bring food and drink specials right to students

Hooked Deals is a new app connecting people with deals that are time-sensitive. Now, it’s coming to Athens.

The app has partnered with more than 2,000 businesses, from national chains to local establishments nationwide, including Starbucks, OMG! Rotisserie, Buffalo Wild Wings, Subway, Pita Pit, Bagel Street Deli, Court Street Coffee and Papa Johns. 

Hooked Deals was created by childhood friends Brett Berman and Tim Rothwell to easily connect people with deals. 

“There’s a big need in college towns to discover new restaurants/businesses and to save people money,” Vice President of Business Development Kyle Nathanson said. “Hooked Deals has a feature to share deals with friends.”

The app is having multiple free food events over the next couple of weeks. 

On Thursday, at Subway, 25 N. Court St., there will be a deal for a free six inch sub. Next week, on Tuesday, El Camino, 1017 E. State St., will offer two free chicken or beef tacos; Wednesday, Odyssey Nutrition, 30 E. State St, will offer a free lemon or brownie shake. 

“Look to the app to see event times,” Nathanson said. 

Hooked Deals can be accessed in 48 college towns, including Athens, but just because Hooked Deals is in a college town does not mean it is just for college students, Nathanson said. Faculty members, staff and Athens residents can also use the app. 

“When thinking about getting a bite, think about Hooked,” Nathanson said. 

Court Street Coffee manager Charlie Fulks said the establishment is taking partnering with Hooked Deals because he sees the app as having potential. 

“Just to see how students liked it and if it was beneficial for business,” Fulks said.

Some students said they have not heard about the app but are interested in the idea of it, while others have downloaded the app.

“(The app is) easy to use,” Payton Moore, a junior studying social work, said. “There are different places and places I have yet to try.”

The app offers college-affordable deals at establishments students may not try otherwise, Alissa Shull, a junior studying marine biology, said. 

@SusieGr54264615

sg706817@ohio.edu