Ohio celebrates after scoring its first goal of the day during its 3-1 win over Central Michigan on Sunday.

Field Hockey: Ohio beats Central Michigan, cruises to third straight win

An intercepted pass didn't stop Ohio from continuing its attack as Brittany Keen and Tayla Hansen pressured the Central Michigan defender, resulting in a steal for Keen. 

Keen passed the ball to Hansen, who fired a pass to the front corner of the goal, where Jillian Shive beat the goalie, resulting in her fifth goal of the season.

Ohio is 4-0 this season in games in which Shive has scored and 3-1 at home this year, after only winning one game at Pruitt Field last season. 

The play started with Amy Edgerton sending a long pass from the left side of the field to Leah Warren on the right. Warren then passed the ball into the attacking quarter where it was intercepted, but Keen and Hansen were right there. 

It was the Bobcats fifth straight victory over Central Michigan (1-11, 0-2 Mid-American Conference), as Ohio (4-4, 2-0 MAC) was in complete control throughout, winning 3-1 on Sunday. 

Ohio was able to string together passes throughout the game from its backfield to the attacking circle. That gave the Bobcats most of the possession, which is something that wasn't happening earlier in the season. 

“I think we just had really good vision, so we looked for the passes before we received it and we were able to find each other a little bit better,” coach Ali Johnstone said.

With the ball in Central Michigan territory for the majority of the first half, Ohio was able to create 14 shots, with nine of them being on goal.

The lead was doubled in the 20th minute, when Karynne Baker re-directed a shot from Claire Buckey past the Central Michigan goalie. The play began in the backfield for Ohio as it was able to string together four passes before Shive got the ball in the circle, and fired a shot that was saved right to a waiting Buckey.

The Bobcat defense was called upon in the second more often, but was able to clear the ball before the Chippewas were able to shoot. 

Ohio has now won three straight and started MAC play with two wins.

After a Central Michigan goal in the 65th minute, Ohio responded with their own goal less than two minutes later. On a penalty corner, Warren received the ball at the top of the circle and fired a shot that hit the back of the net for her first collegiate goal.  

Ohio now heads on the road for its next four games beginning with a nonconference game against Drexel (4-4) on Sept. 30 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu