Ohio quarterback Nathan Rourke looks for open receivers during the Bobcats’ game against Virginia on Saturday. (FILE)

Football: Stock watch following Ohio's loss to Virginia

Ohio (1-1) lost to Virginia (2-1) in Nashville, Tennessee, on Saturday; the Bobcats lost 45-31 and gave up more than 500 yards of total offense. Nathan Rourke began to return to his normal self, but the defense gave up big plays, both on the ground and through the air. 

Here’s a look at some of the notable performances from the game and what they mean going forward:

Stock Up

Nathan Rourke

After being benched in favor of Quinton Maxwell three series into Ohio’s season opener against Howard, Rourke showed a glimpse of what he can do under center for the Bobcats. He was 16 of 31 for 246 yards and two touchdowns against Virginia. He also added a 70-yard run to set up a touchdown. Ohio’s season could be on the back of Rourke if its defense continues to give up big chunks of yards.

Tim Albin

Following the win over Howard, the offensive coordinator said he needed to do a better job at times in play calling. And while the Bobcats would love to establish a running attack, they were playing catch-up against the Cavaliers, forcing Rourke to throw most of the day. Albin’s game plan to get Papi White in space and get him the ball however he could was well-executed.

Brett Kitrell

Four of Ohio’s five offensive linemen from last year returned this season. But arguably the most important one, the center, needed replaced. Enter Brett Kitrell, who has had a stellar start to his time as the center for Rourke. Kitrell has looked the part of a starting center through two games, executing pass protection with ease. Coach Frank Solich even complimented Kitrell on Monday during his weekly press conference.

Stock Down

Big play defense

Ohio gave up three one-play scoring drives Saturday, including one for 86 yards and another for 75. The Bobcats also gave up a 77-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter to put the game out of reach. 

After Jamal Hudson and Javon Hagan returned from injuries, the defensive woes were thought to be an issue of the past. But after coming back, Ohio has now given up 1,197 yards through two games. That’s nearly 600 yards per game. 

Punt coverage

Both of Michael Farkas’ first two punts traveled more than 50 yards. The first one was covered well, only giving up two yards on the return. But the second was returned 42 yards. Farkas seemed to have out-kicked his coverage. 

Late in the first quarter, Virginia had stretched its lead to 21-7. Ohio was set to punt. Farkas appeared to be pinning Virginia inside its own 20; the ball should’ve been fair caught at 17-yard line. But Ohio’s Julian Ross destroyed the punt returner before he could catch the ball, and Virginia was able to use the kick-catch interference penalty to start at its 32 instead.

The first quarter

Three one-play scoring drives sunk Ohio. It was obviously not the start Solich and his coaching staff wanted. If you take away Ohio’s first quarter against Virginia, the Bobcats tied the Cavaliers at 24. It was an even match, and Ohio had momentum through a portion of it. Had it not been for a slow start, the stories about Ohio might be much different.

Through two games, Ohio has been outscored by opponents 31-10. In the final three quarters, the Bobcats are outscoring opponents. Ohio will need to figure out how to start quickly — and it needs to figure it out before conference play.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu