New Wi-Fi causes connectivity issues for some students

Since arriving on campus this fall, many students have found that the Wi-Fi does not work as well as expected.

The new Wi-Fi system, Eduroam, was introduced in August, according to a previous Post report. It allows for students to connect to wireless printers, smart TVs and streaming devices, according to that Post report. Sean O’Malley, the IT communications manager in OU’s Office of Information Technology (OIT), said Eduroam and the Ohio University network are the exact same Wi-Fi. 

“Same equipment, same bandwidth, same coverage, same security,”  O’Malley said in email. “The only difference between the two is roaming.”

Roaming means that students have easy access to Wi-Fi at other Eduroam schools. 

O’Malley said the Wi-Fi probably feels new to returning students because it is in the first year of being actively recommended.

“The service desk logged 68 wi-fi requests from start of move-in through Sep. 5,” O’Malley said in an email. “All of those requests were from folks who wanted help connecting a personal device. The Service Desk did not receive any complaints about wi-fi not working during fall opening.”

Brea Muzykoski, a sophomore studying political science pre-law, said in her residence hall, she generally does not have problems connecting to Wi-Fi on her laptop, but she almost never connects her phone because the Wi-Fi slows it down so much.

“My wi-fi is actually worse in my classrooms. Especially Bentley (Hall),” Muzykoski said in an email. “It goes in and out nearly every time I open my computer.”

Christian Gossett, a freshman studying integrated language arts, said he experiences connectivity issues within classrooms and while walking around campus. He is concerned about being able to connect in larger classes when many students need to connect at the same time.

He also said he has only encountered minor issues with the Wi-Fi. Gossett lives in Armbruster House on South Green.

“I am, overall, satisfied with it,” Gossett said. 

Students can report Wi-Fi issues using email, phone calls or an online chat. All of which can be find on OIT’s website, O’Malley said. 

“The residence halls should have full coverage throughout each building,” O’Malley said in an email. “If there are places where wi-fi is not working well, we definitely want to hear about it.” 

@snjournalism

sn148317@ohio.edu