Noah's Ark: Extra on-campus costs prove vexing

While the cost alone of life in the residence halls is extremely daunting, there is another issue presented by on-campus living, it seems the university uses the students on campus as an opportunity to make a few extra dollars wherever possible.

This cash grab begins day one when you move in and are given your room key along with the warning that losing that tiny key accompanies a $95 charge. Aside from the near $100 that accompanies losing a room key, a $10 charge is included every time you lock yourself out of your room. Its apparent that both these issues can be avoided with a combination of common sense and responsibility. Yes, it’s pretty easy to keep track of both, but seems bogus that replacing lock, which only costs a bit over $5 is nearly $100 to replace. I’m not arguing that a new room key should be free, but $95 seems excessive in almost any other situation. 

Attempting to profit off small mistakes such as these feels unfair to any student that finds themselves in such a situation. Unfortunately, the attempts at profiting off of students in the goes beyond the room key issue. 

For anybody who has ever tried to shop at a campus market, say Nelson Market, for the first time the prices are comparable to buying dinner in an amusement park. Things that should be affordable are double or triple their regular price simply because you have nowhere else to get them. A box of cereal or cookies is nearly $7 while the same products can be found at Walmart or Kroger for a third of that price. 

Many would argue that going with the Flex meal plan over the Traditional would make this pricing irrelevant, but does it? The Flex 14 plan is priced at $2,953 per semester while the Traditional is $2,233. That’s over a $700 difference just for the equivalent of $225 in flex points and the opportunity to convert unused meal swipes. For students paying interest on loans or those paying out of pocket and additional seven hundred dollars is a huge deal and for those without flex looking for a late-night snack or food for their dorm, these prices can quickly deplete our bank accounts. 

It seems by up charging for snacks and meals the university has found yet another opportunity to profit of those living in residence halls. While the majority of students are paying thousands of dollars each year to go to school here, overpriced boxes of cereal just make it sting a bit more. 

Noah Wright is an undecided sophomore studying at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Noah? Email him nw422218@ohio.edu