Police Blotter: Drunken students give police their fake IDs; handgun found in cup

The Ohio University Police Department dealt with a few cases of mistaken identity over the weekend.

On Friday at about 2:30 a.m., an intoxicated student was found on College Green by an OUPD officer.

The student was unsteady on his feet, had glassy eyes, was slurring his speech and smelled of alcohol, according to the report. He presented a fake Delaware ID and was arrested for underage consumption and possession of a fake ID. He was taken to the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail pending his sobriety.

On Friday at about midnight, OUPD responded to a call from a resident assistant in Sargent Hall for an intoxicated student. 

The student was unable to respond to verbal commands and smelled of alcohol. He also had a fake West Virginia ID on him. The student was issued two citations for possession of fake ID and disorderly conduct by intoxication. He was transferred to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital pending his sobriety. 

Good morning

On Sunday at about 7 a.m., a student was found passed out on the ground in the River Park private parking lot.

When the student was woken up, he was slightly disoriented, was not familiar with his location and smelled of alcohol, according to the report. He was arrested for disorderly conduct by intoxication and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail pending his sobriety. 

TV trouble

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a report of a man standing holding a flat-screen TV near Old State Route 56 in New Marshfield on Sunday.

While en route, deputies were told the man had been picked up by a red extended cab Ford Ranger and headed toward Gun Club Road. Deputies were able to locate and stop the vehicle. 

Shortly before the call was made, a woman called to report someone had broken into her house and stolen a flat-screen TV and prescription medication. 

The man was arrested and charged with burglary, theft from the elderly, obstruction and vandalism. The TV was found in the back of the vehicle and returned to the owner. 

Workin’ at the car wash 

On Sept. 12, deputies were called to The Plains Car Wash for a report of a loaded revolver handgun found sitting inside a cup next to one of the car wash bays. 

The gun was collected and placed into evidence for safekeeping, according to the report. The case was closed. 

Chainsaw caper

On Friday, the sheriff’s office responded to a call from a residence on Smith Street for a theft. 

The man told deputies that at some point in the previous two days, a 20-inch Craftsman chainsaw had been stolen. A report was taken, but there are no suspects at this time.

Pit stop

The sheriff’s office responded to a report of a man pacing through the parking lot at Valero in The Plains for an extended period of time Friday.

Deputies spoke to the man, who said he was walking to Chauncey but had stopped there to rest on his way. 

The man showed no significant signs of impairment and was asked to leave the Valero lot. Deputies also told the man to travel on the bike path since it was dark so that he would be safer on his walk, according to the report.

Can’t stay here

The sheriff’s office responded to a trespassing complaint in The Plains on Tuesday. 

The caller told deputies a “local homeless man” and his dog were in the playhouse in the backyard, according to the report. The caller told the man to leave, but he did not. 

On the scene, deputies found the playhouse empty. The caller did not know the identity of the man and was told to call back if he was seen again. No additional action was taken. 

@JackieOU_ouyeah

jo019315@ohio.edu