Police Blotter: Drunken student found in a shrub; 'suspicious person' cleans up graffiti

One student found himself in a bushel of trouble by Bush Hall last weekend. 

Ohio University Police Department reported a student was found lying in a shrub behind Bush Hall at about midnight Friday.

The student was having difficulty getting up, had bloodshot eyes, was slurring his speech and was “very lethargic” in his movements, according to the report. 

He was arrested for underage consumption and possession of a fake ID and taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail pending his sobriety. 

This was one of six alcohol-related incidents reported by OUPD over the weekend. There were also eight citations issued for marijuana possession or paraphernalia.

Muddy situation

OUPD responded to a report of an intoxicated student in Sowle Hall at about 4 a.m. Sunday.

The officer who spoke to the student said he had bloodshot eyes, smelled of alcohol and was unsteady on his feet. According to the report, he also had dried mud on the knee of his pants.

He was arrested for underage consumption and taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

A Biddle too much to drink

OUPD officers responded to Biddle Hall for an intoxicated student at about midnight Friday.

The student was found on the second-floor women’s restroom vomiting in a stall. She was unsteady on her feet and almost fell multiple times but caught herself on the walls.

She smelled, had bloodshot eyes, was slurring her speech, and struggled to understand and answer simple questions. The student was arrested for underage consumption and taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

No good deed goes unpunished 

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office and the Nelsonville Police Department received a report of a suspicious person near the State Route 78 overpass in Nelsonville on Saturday. 

On the scene, deputies found the person cleaning graffiti off the sides of the overpass. Deputies returned to patrol since no crime was occurring. “Not all heroes wear capes,” the report stated.

Sitting, waiting, suspicious

On Friday, deputies received a call about a suspicious vehicle on Johnson Road in The Plains.

The caller said men had been sitting in a vehicle in the parking lot for approximately 45 minutes. Deputies spoke to the men, who said they were waiting for an event at the church that was supposed to start after the football game. The case was closed.

On Saturday, deputies received a report of a suspicious woman sleeping in her car outside the former Chauncey Elementary School. The woman told deputies she was waiting for her boyfriend. She was not intoxicated and not engaging in criminal activity. 

According to the report, deputies advised her to “wait elsewhere” at that time. No further action was taken.

Not my pig, not my problem

Deputies responded to a call of a pig that did not belong to the property owner of a residence on Connett Road on Monday.

No residents in the area claimed the pig, so the pig was given to a new owner. 

No help needed here

The sheriff’s office received a report that a passerby heard screaming around Hoon Drive on Sunday. Deputies patrolled the area, but no issues were found. 

The caller said a man had advised her that his friend was drunk and yelling, and they did not actually need assistance, according to the report.

Licensed to steal

The sheriff’s office took a report of a stolen license plate from a vehicle in Chauncey on Monday.

The owner of the license plate was unaware the plate was stolen until law enforcement found it located on a stolen vehicle. This case is under investigation.

@JackieOu_ohyeah

jo019315@ohio.edu