OU President Duane Nellis speaks during the first Student Senate meeting of the year on Aug. 30, 2017. (FILE)

Student Senate: One bill and two resolutions passed Wednesday

Student Senate passed one bill and two resolutions Wednesday at this week’s meeting. 

Senate passed a bill condemning House Bill 658, which makes government agents or entities report gender dysphoria and get permission for treatment from the minor’s parents or legal guardians. Student Senate felt the bill was a violation of rights and highly discriminatory toward LGBT — specifically transgender — students. 

“Students shouldn’t be forced to come out if they do not want to,” University Life Commissioner Eva Holtkamp said.

During the debate for condemning the bill, Student Senate members discussed why this issue is important to students, especially the LGBT students at Ohio University. Members said it is important that all students of the university feel accepted as who they are as a person and have treatment services available to them.

Student Senate President Maddie Sloat said it’s important that senate comments on bills dealing with legislation and that the decision is sent to state representatives so they know how the university is feeling on topics. 

A resolution was passed to fund a speaker to come to OU on Sept. 25. The budget was $139. Student Senate also passed a resolution to elect Justin Fink as a senator for the Residence Life Commission. 

Grant Adams presented his idea to make a Local Business Committee. In his presentation, Adams said he wants the committee to work with small businesses to bring benefits to students and establish relationships with entrepreneurs. 

He said one of the committee’s goals to create relationships with the small businesses, raise awareness about them and do events with the businesses. 

sg706917@ohio.edu