President Duane Nellis speaks during the first Student Senate meeting of 2017 at Ohio University on Aug. 30, 2017. (FILE)

Student Senate: Body to condemn 'Parent's Right Bill' and pass a resolution

Student Senate will be looking to pass a bill and a resolution at this week’s meeting. 

The first is a bill to condemn House Bill 658, also known as the “Parent's Right Bill.” 

“If a government agent or entity has knowledge that a child under its care or supervision has exhibited symptoms of gender dysphoria or otherwise demonstrates a desire to be treated in a manner opposite of the child's biological sex, the government agency must report the parent or legal guardians of the child,” according to the bill. 

Treatment for gender dysphoria ranges from counseling to surgery. If passed, the parents or legal guardians have to give permission for the minor to receive treatment.

Student Senate is trying to condemn any effort to “inhibit the freedom of expression of a child’s gender identity,” according to the agenda. Student Senate's agenda addresses the need to uphold the values of diversity, inclusiveness, and the dignity and safety of “trans and gender non-conforming peoples, especially youth.”

The resolution is to approve a budget to fund a speaker for the International Affairs Commission. The budget includes the cost of Go Bus tickets and the Ohio University Inn and Conference Center.

There will be a presentation on the Local Business Committee by Grant Adams at the meeting. 

The meeting will take place Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. in Walter Hall. 

sg706817@ohio.edu