FBI recovered stolen ruby slippers from ‘The Wizard of Oz’; driverless vehicles might be coming to Athens

Today is Wednesday, September 5, 2018. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

They aren’t in Kansas, but they’re back in the right hands: after a 13-year hunt, a pair of ruby slippers from the 1939 film “The Wizard of Oz” have been recovered, FBI officials said Tuesday. 

The slippers, one of four known pairs that were worn by Judy Garland as Dorothy in the 1939 classic, were stolen from a museum dedicated to the actress in Grand Rapids, Minnesota, in 2005, CNN reported.

The slippers were recovered during the summer as part of an undercover FBI operation in Minneapolis, officials said.

"There's a certain romance in these types of schemes, sometimes sophistication, but at the end of the day it's a theft," North Dakota United States Attorney Christopher Myers said.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

News from The Post:

Driverless cars could soon come to Athens. (The Post)

Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, starts on Sunday. (The Post)

Ohio University’s African American Studies program is turning 50 this year. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Volleyball will play Marshall at 6 p.m. today. (The Post)

The Mid-American Conference held its conference call for week two of game play. Here's what we learned: (The Post)

Athens Weather

Prepare for another day of scorching heat. There will be a high of 93 degrees today with partly cloudy skies. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

More than $400,000 raised for a homeless man is gone, his lawyer says. (The Philadelphia Inquirer)

The government is accusing Harvard of “outright racial balancing.” (The Associated Press)

Amazon briefly passed the $1 trillion market cap on Tuesday before falling off again. (CNBC)

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu