City Council members Patrick Mcgee, Peter Kotses, and President Chris Knisely listen to Mayor Steve Patterson on Jan. 16th, 2018. (FILE)

City Council: City Council to discuss ordinances for Halloween preparation

City Council Members will discuss preparations for the Halloween Block Party, ordinances for a new pumper truck and a revocable license at Monday night’s meeting. 

Council members will review an ordinance providing $323, 411 for the insurance of notes by The City of Athens for acquiring a new pumper truck and related equipment. Each fire station has two pumper trucks, one front line and one on reserve.

Members will also review closing a portion of Court Street from Mulberry to Carpenter on October 26, 27 and 28 for the upcoming Halloween festivities.

The City will not enforce parking garage rates on these dates, as well as unnecessary noise for scheduled performances. 

The Block Party will be hosted by The Clean and Safe Halloween Committee. The celebration on Court Street is put on by the work of volunteers. The event is free, and people visiting Ohio University may park at the Athens City Parking Garage on Washington Street. The music schedule is still to be determined. 

A ordinance will be reviewed on second reading to grant a revocable license to Cameron Fuller, owner of Devil’s Kettle Brewing, and to also allow an existing concrete pad to encroach on the city right-of-way.

Devil’s Kettle Brewing, located on 97 Columbus Road, is a microbrewery and the second oldest brewery in Athens.

Members will also discuss passing an ordinance to extend the 72-hour Pilot Residential Parking Permit Program an additional year.

The City will also enter a contract to lease/purchase Smart Parking Meters.

@ericatracy7

et789215@ohio.edu