Members of Faculty Senate meet on Feb. 2018.

Faculty Senate: Members to vote on Faculty Handbook language

Correction appended.

Ohio University Executive Vice President and Provost Chaden Djalali will open Faculty Senate’s meeting Monday night.

In the Chair’s Report, Faculty Senate Chair Joe McLaughlin will go over the Ohio Faculty Council election and Dean’s evaluation committees. 

McLaughlin will continue to clarify the specification of the word “days” in terms of university deadlines and processes. 

The resolution states that the usage of the word “days” are “calendar days” and processes will stop during winter, spring and summer breaks. 

The Promotion and Tenure committee will bring forward a second resolution also specifying Faculty Handbook language.

The second resolution will allow for the use of the word "tenure" in the Faculty Handbook's language. The language will indicate that all tenured senators in the third year of their term will serve on a committee to grant or deny tenure. 

“The principle here is that only tenured faculty can vote to grant tenure, so only tenured faculty should be involved in revoking it,” McLaughlin said in an email.

At the meeting, faculty senators will hear two additional presentations. 

Deb Shaffer, vice president for finance and administration, will review new policies on using preferred providers for university purchases. Cary Frith, interim dean of the Honors Tutorial College, and Margaux Cowden, the director of the new OHIO Honors Program, will introduce the OHIO Honors Program to Faculty Senate. 

The meeting will be held in Walter Hall 235 at 7:10 p.m.

@ReneeTedian

@rd063317@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report incorrectly stated Duane Nellis would be at the meeting. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.