Ohio's Tayla Hansen runs with the ball during the Bobcats’ match against Kent State on Oct. 19. (FILE)

Field Hockey: Ohio suffers seventh straight loss in defeat to Miami

Ohio’s losing streak reached seven games as it wrapped up the regular season with a 5-0 loss to Miami, the best team in the Mid-American Conference.

The loss means Ohio is the fifth seed in the MAC tournament and will take on Ball State in the quarterfinals. The winner will play Miami (13-6, 6-0 MAC). 

It was Miami’s fifth-straight victory over Ohio (4-11, 2-4 MAC). The RedHawks have become the best team in the MAC behind senior and leading goal scorer Paula Portugal.

With Portugal the focus of the Ohio defense, other players were able to take advantage of the opportunities that were available. Portugal and four others scored goals. 

Ohio was going to need a good performance from its defense, facing the high-powered Miami attack, but the Bobcats defense struggled. It allowed 26 shots, 15 of them on goal, and nine penalty corners. 

The Bobcats have only had five shots and zero goals in the past two games. They’ve been held scoreless in two straight games for the first time all season.

When Ohio and Ball State (2-15, 2-4 MAC) met in the regular season, it took double overtime for the Cardinals to come out on top 3-2. 

It was one of only two games all season that Ball State scored more than one goal. All three goals came off penalty corners, which Ohio made mistakes on, which allowed for open looks at goal.  

Ohio and Ball State will play at 10:30 am on Thursday in Oxford. The winner will play Miami at 11:30 am on Friday. 

@TheEricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu