Alex Karev (Justin Chambers) was promoted to interim chief of surgery on ‘Grey’s Anatomy.’ (via @GreysABC on Twitter)

TV Review: You’ll never guess which ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ character is chief of surgery

There’s a new chief of surgery at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, and it’s the last person any true Grey’s Anatomy fan would have ever expected. 

Former bad boy Alex Karev (Justin Chambers) officially took over over for Miranda Bailey (Chandra Wilson) while she’s on a stress vacation in Thursday’s episode. Two minutes into having the job, Karev granted one of the hot new doctors, Atticus Lincoln (Chris Carmack), money to make superhero prosthetics for children in pediatrics. That seemed very irresponsible for a chief to do, but his authority became more prominent over the course of the episode. 

When a teacher and student came to the hospital after a tablesaw mishap in shop class, Richard Webber (James Pickens, Jr.) felt he needed to coach the teacher who had a high blood alcohol concentration. Webber was being a little too stern in the operating room, so Karev had to step in. 

“Now I’m your chief, and I want you out of this OR,” Karev said.

It’s strange to see Karev in this capacity. He used to be the complicated jerk from Iowa that everyone hated, and now he’s interim chief. Karev has come a long way, but it’s easy to forget he beat up Andrew DeLuca (Giacomo Gianniotti) and almost went to jail. Theoretically, if any of the patients at Grey Sloan Memorial caught wind of this, they would not be happy. 

Then again, this is a TV show and it must not matter. Here’s how fans reacted to the promotion: 

Grey’s Anatomy airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on ABC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu