Celebrate National Cat Day with these five feline facts; check out ‘The Post’s timeline from the Athens Halloween Block Party

Today is Monday, Oct. 29, 2018. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, and Happy National Cat Day!

Move over Fido — today is the day when man’s best friend comes in a feline form. 

Even if you are inclined toward a different species, cats have this day all to themselves. Here are five fun facts about cats to get your day started:

1. Domesticated cats have been around for a long time. It is estimated that they have been here since 3600 B.C., 2,000 years before Egyptian society kicked into high gear and started worshipping the cat god named Atum-Ra.

2. Cats sleep for about 70 percent of their lives.

3. A cat named Stubbs was the honorary mayor in Talkeetna, Alaska, since 1997 until his death last year.

4. A cat’s brain is about 90 percent similar to a humans, which more similar than to a dog's.

5. The myth that cats have nine lives has no known origin, but it has been around for centuries. Some think it comes from how cats have amazing dexterity and always land on their feet. Even Shakespeare used this saying in his play Romeo and Juliet.

Check out more cat facts here.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

News from The Post:

Agriculture influences the work of Albany artist Matt Wedel. (The Post)

Here is a timeline of what happened during the Athens Halloween Block Party (The Post)

Latinx students find different ways to celebrate Dia de los Muertos while in college. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio field hockey closed its season against Miami. (The Post)

Here is what The Post noticed from the midweek Mid-American Conference game (The Post)

Ohio volleyball beat Eastern Michigan on Saturday. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Partly cloudy with a high of 54 degrees (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Authorities are named the 11 victims of a shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue. (The Washington Post)

Democrats are focusing their campaign messages on health care in the lead up to the 2018 general election. (The New York Times)

Two winners will split the $687 million Powerball jackpot. (CNN)

@ShillcockGeorge

Gs261815@ohio.edu