New Music Friday: Clubhouse pay homage to warmer months with new single “Summerfields”; Gerard Way is energetic and lively with new single

Music can transport you to a certain season or time period, and allow for a sense of escapism. It is also equally therapeutic and cathartic — for both the listener and the artist themself. Overall, music evokes mood and is downright powerful, and there’s no exception for that with this week’s releases. So whether you’re trying to get spooky for Halloween weekend (give Thom Yorke’s full Suspiria soundtrack a listen) or you just want to bask in utter pop music (Robyn’s first album in eight years is for you), the music world has got your back. Here are some of the best releases from the week: 

The one that takes you on the rollercoaster that is self-love:

Up-and-coming artist Graace soars on her debut EP Self-Sabotage. The Aussie singer has vocals that are sweet as honey but also dip into feelings of vulnerability and utter honesty. On the EP, the 21-year-old delves into the ups and downs of love and self-sabotage in finding love. In an interview with Marie Claire, Graace explained she was undermining her own relationships because she didn’t have any self-love. “When you’re not fully in love with yourself, it’s not going to work out,” explained the singer. 

The EP spans six tracks and along the way listeners are along for the ride of Graace’s journey for self-love. Starting with “Kissing Boys,” the singer realizes the wrongs she has done, in “Last Night” her vulnerability and regret is poignant and visceral, and in the closing track she delivers a spoken word that could either be pointed at a significant other or herself, it’s up for interpretation. 

The one that’ll make you wish for summer:

Electronic synths and pop vibes fill the newest single from indie-pop outfit Clubhouse. Hailing from Columbus, four out of five members from Clubhouse graduated from Ohio University. Following up its groovy single “Kyra” from 2017, Clubhouse has evoked the aura of summer with “Summerfields.” The song is dreamy, catchy and perfect for driving with the windows rolled dow — a tradition more fit for summer than the impending winter. With Halloween rolling around and the rest of winter slowly creeping in, “Summerfields” is a great way to escape to the vibes of the warmer months. 

The ones that’ll make you reminisce on your emo days:

Growing up in the early 2000s equalled growing up with pop-punk or punk-rock. Scene kids, goths and just plain outsiders alike surged through the years soundtracked by bands such as Fall Out Boy, Paramore, blink-182 and the since-broken-up My Chemical Romance. 

After teasing new music earlier this week, MCR frontman Gerard Way dropped new music. The single, “Baby, You’re a Haunted House,” is Way’s first music since 2016 — just in time for Halloween. The latest single is bouncy, loud and overall fun. Compared to the dark undertones of MCR’s widely-regarded music, this is the complete opposite. Way already distinguished himself as a solo-artist with 2014’s Hesitant Alien, but “Baby, You’re a Haunted House” reaffirms that he’s still shaking things up in the post-pop-punk music world.

Reaching into more of a punk-rock realm, Bring Me The Horizon released the first taste of music for its 2019 album Amo. Featuring Cradle of Filth frontman Dani Filth, “wonderful life” is guitar-heavy madness. With Oli Sykes’ blaring vocals the song is full of power, grit and heavy lyrics. The British rock band also took to Twitter and announced the tracklist for Amo:

The one that’ll make you dance and sing along:

As the second of three covers honoring Queen before the release of the film Bohemian Rhapsody biopic, 5 Seconds of Summer released its version of “Killer Queen.” Following Shawn Mendes’ cover of “Under Pressure,” the Australian bands rendition of “Killer Queen” is equally Queen-inspired but also all their own. With a twinge of electronic-pop and modern flair, 5 Seconds of Summer have released a cover that reminds listeners not just of Queen’s iconic music but also of the band’s influential legacy. 

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu