Ohio’s Gabe Lampron pursues a Lindenwood player with the puck during the two teams’ game on November 17, 2017. (FILE)

Hockey: CSCHL proves to be nation's best league

The Central States Collegiate Hockey League has flexed its power across the nation for more than a few years now. The league has seen three of its members make national championship appearances in the last three years, and one of them won the whole thing. 

Its members — Ohio, Lindenwood, Illinois, Iowa State and Robert Morris-Illinois — headline the American Collegiate Hockey Association’s top 10 in the coaches’ poll as of press time.

With league play set to begin for Ohio, The Post breaks down its league rivals.

No. 3 Illinois (4-1-2)

Last season, the Fighting Illini were a thorn in the Bobcats’ side. They knocked them out in the CSCHL Tournament and the ACHA quarterfinal game. By beating Ohio, Illinois advanced to the national championship, where it lost to Adrian in an 8-1 bout.

Hungover from a loss on the biggest stage, Illinois opened its season with a sweep over Michigan State. Led by top point scorers Stephen Quinn (6 goals and 3 assists) and Jon Moskaluk (6 goals and 1 assist), the Illini have faced some of the nation’s top teams in recent weeks. In the span of three days, Illinois played No. 5 Minot State and No. 16 Jamestown. With the opportunity to really assert itself as a national power, Illinois lost all three games by one goal.

Despite losing, the Fighting Illini are already seasoned after having played such nationally acclaimed teams. Its first CSCHL series is Oct. 26-27 at Lindenwood.

No. 8 Iowa State (4-2-0)

One of the league’s more peculiar teams, the Cyclones started the season off on a high note. It won four straight games to open the season, which included nationally ranked Alabama. Top point scorers Aaron Azevedo (3 goals and 5 assists) and Tony Uglem (3 goals and 4 assists) were dominant in Alabama’s opening series, but when premier talent appeared on the schedule, they were absent.

Against No. 2 Lindenwood, the two combined for just five points. If the Cyclones expect to play at an even level with teams ranked above them, their top players have to show up.

Iowa State’s next league series is this weekend against Ohio.

No. 2 Lindenwood (6-0-0)

For some teams in the CSCHL, league play has already begun. And Lindenwood, in terms of league record, holds the top spot. After three weeks, the Lions not only are one of the most dominant teams in the nation, but the league as well.

In its Week 2 and 3 series, Lindenwood swept back-to-back CSCHL opponents in No. 8 Iowa State and No. 9 Robert Morris-Illinois.

Both series were especially dominant as Lindenwood won a combined 15-1 over Robert Morris-Illinois and 12-4 against Iowa State.

Typically, CSCHL series are close score differentials and the games are split. For Lindenwood to sweep two league opponents in a dominant fashion gives it an unprecedented amount of confidence.

No. 9 Robert Morris-Illinois (2-4-0)

An uncharacteristic start to its season, Robert Morris-Illinois had not even played a game before it faced adversity. Long-time coach Billy Karr stunned the Eagles when he announced his abrupt retirement. Faced with having to learn completely new systems, RMU-I has not had the easiest adjustment to its abandonment. Its lone two wins came in its opening weekend at Rochester College. Since then, however, the Eagles have struggled — mightily.

In its first home series of the year, RMU-I was swept handily by Lindenwood. The following week, Michigan-Dearborn swept RMU-I by a combined 9-4 score.

Led in points by Scott Coash (4 goals and 2 assists) and Jake Nitsche (3 goals and 3 assists), the two will have to up their production and rely on talent, for now, if they want to keep the Eagles in contention of a national conversation.

Notes

This season’s CSCHL Tournament will be hosted by Lindenwood in Wentzville, Missouri. 

Each team in the league plays each other twice in a home-and-home.

Ohio’s first league series is on the road at Iowa State. Its last league series is in February against Iowa State.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to include information about the rankings when the story was released.