Sam helps fight of vampires and werewolves in Thursday’s episode of ‘Supernatural.’ (via @cw_spn on Twitter)

TV Review: Michael test drives his new army on ‘Supernatural’

In Thursday’s episode of Supernatural, the audience was able to see Jensen Ackles literally switch Michael and Dean off and on, depending on the scene. If you couldn’t watch the episode live, here’s what you missed:

Michael’s experimenting and Dean’s not having it

Michael (Ackles) has moved on from vampires to werewolves in his quest in a superior army. At the end of the episode, Sam (Jared Padalecki), Mary (Samantha Smith) and Bobby (Jim Beaver) fought off werewolves, but they weren’t the typical monsters the hunters have seen — the creatures were supercharged and silver didn’t touch them. This could mean Michael is test driving his selection process for his army, which if Sam and Cas don’t stop could mean another apocalypse. There were several incidents in the episode where Dean (Ackles) was able to fight through and tell Michael to stick it where the sun don’t shine. At the very end of the episode when Sam and the gang beheaded the werewolves, Michael waltzed through the doors but there was a shift and suddenly Dean was back. Hurting, but back. But I wouldn’t count on it sticking.

Jack finds purpose

Jack (Alexander Calvert) was still struggling to find his purpose after coming to the realization that he may not get his grace back anytime soon. He decided to visit his grandparents to rekindle a familial connection and after tightroping his way around of explaining his mother’s kindness without giving away his connection to her. He felt welcomed and wanted by legitimate family blood. 

When Jack returned to the bunker, he had to face Cas, which reminded the audience of a father-son relationship. In a jump in pace, Jack made it crystal clear to Cas that if the fight came down to Michael to Dean, they would have to kill Michael even if that meant killing Dean in the process. The audience was taken aback by the intensity of the matter, especially after it followed a heartwarming closure with Jack and his mom’s family. But, it makes the audience think that if this is the last season, a death would be the way to go out with a bang. And we know that Supernatural isn’t shy of major character deaths.

Nick kills 

Nick (Mark Pellegrino) tried to cope with being Lucifer’s vessel for however many years. After some coaxing from Cas (Misha Collins), the memories of the murder of his child and wife came crashing back, where a man broke in and killed them. 

In an intense scene of Cas trying to reason with Nick, Nick pounced forward and tried to smite Cas, just as Lucifer would do to lesser angels. That could suggest Lucifer tinkered with Nick’s psyche by building a wall of what he would and would not even register doing. Cas tried to explain to Nick that every angel has to possess a body to walk on Earth. Cas possessed Jimmy Novak after Jimmy consented. Cas made it clear that in the thousands of years of existing, Jimmy’s death was his one regret. Nick saw it as body-snatching. Not in the right headspace, Nick tried to backtrack the murder and came across his neighbor who originally saw a man exiting the house, but later recanted his testimony. After confronting the neighbor and questioned about who got to him, Nick is seen bloody and puts down a hammer, which he used to kill the neighbor with.

Supernatural airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu