Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) prepares for his departure on ‘The Walking Dead.’ (via @TheWalkingDead on Twitter)

TV Review: ‘The Walking Dead’ prepares to say goodbye to its leader Rick Grimes

The Walking Dead is gearing up for perhaps the biggest moment in its entire history — the end of Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln). As Sunday’s episode progressed, the plot for Rick’s demise was set in place.

All season, Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and Rick have faced off with their ideologies. Maggie wants to kill Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) to avenge Glenn, and Rick wants to keep Negan alive to satisfy Carl’s last request.

This episode opened with Maggie riding toward Alexandria to assassinate Negan. Jesus (Tom Payne) tried to warn Rick, but Rick was distracted by Daryl (Norman Reedus). The two began fighting when Rick realized Daryl had misled him and they both fell into a massive pit.

Meanwhile, Carol (Melissa McBride) was confronted by The Saviors, who were still angry with how things were being run. She was able to fend them off, but they were still thirsty for blood. Negan also talked with Michonne (Danai Gurira) about her thirst for killing. It was an attempt to help him get his bat back, but Michonne refused. However, the image of a bat was shown numerous times in the episode, suggesting it may make a return next episode.

Eventually, Rick and Daryl were able to escape the pit, but Rick stayed behind on a horse to distract an oncoming horde of walkers. As the walkers drew closer, the horse bucked Rick off and he was impaled by a massive spike. Rick passed out and the episode ended with walkers closing in on him.

The show has been teasing the next episode as Rick Grime’s last. His fate is entirely uncertain as every member of their community seems to be at a boiling point. The last episode could mean he dies, but would the showrunners end any possibility of him returning in the future? Either way, next week’s episode will undoubtedly be one of The Walking Dead’s most emotional and dramatic episodes ever.

Here’s how fans reacted to the episode:

The Walking Dead airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.

@huntergraffice4

Hg551416@ohio.edu