Season nine of AMC's 'The Walking Dead' premiered Sunday. (via @ComicBookNOW on Twitter)

TV Review: Maggie is taking charge as 'The Walking Dead' moves toward democracy

The Walking Dead characters have been trying to rebuild society ever since the walkers overtook the world, but it seems like they’re actually taking necessary steps to do it this season — and with a new leader.

In the season nine premiere, Maggie Greene (Lauren Cohan) stood out as a clear leader for The Hilltop. The season opened months after the last season ended, as Maggie already had her baby and the characters had rebuilt their homes. With the war behind them, it was clear they were moving toward democracy again.

Throughout the episode, characters casually mentioned an election that took place. In the election, Maggie was elected leader over Gregory (Xander Berkeley). They also mentioned things such as constitutions and charters to promote democracy. However, Gregory was tired of Maggie’s leadership and attempted to assassinate her. After he failed, Maggie had him hanged, signaling her strength as a leader and refusal to be intimidated. Toward the end of the episode, Maggie told Rick (Andrew Lincoln) she was ready to lead them forward.

In her closing remarks to Rick, Maggie said, “I wasn’t someone to follow. That changes now.”

As Rick prepares to exit the show, Maggie could be the much-needed change in leadership that helps revive The Walking Dead from its slow march toward death.

Here are how fans reacted to the season nine premiere: 

The Walking Dead airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC. 

@huntergraffice4

hg551416@ohio.edu