Driving Thoughts: Politics and the toxicity of it

While it may not seem it now, the current political divide will affect us for years to come. And though this divisive state seems to have come overnight, it has been boiling for decades before 2016 and the toxicity of all the hate feels rampant, it’s more present than we think.

People running for offices will make violent threats to each other in order to win the approval of those who dislike their opponents. Though this has been condemned by other representatives it still occurs regularly. Not only are our representatives doing this, but also regular citizens will go out of their way to threaten representatives they don’t agree with. This hostile political environment is extremely dangerous when it comes trying to get policies passed that could benefit the populace.

Why is this divisive state we are now in so present? Considering how the two parties are at one another’s throats over anything, the answer is there: The two-party system. Each of the two parties has their own vision for how the country should be, with little ideological room among each of its members, we’re conditioned to have resentment for the other party because their worldview just seems preposterous to our own. 

When someone who isn’t as involved hears about politics, they’re likely only to hear the absolute worst that happens – or at least that’s when they’ll tune in. People only care when they absolutely have to if they usually don’t. Because of the news always telling us about the negatives, the divide worsens depending on where you get your news from. 

As citizens, along with those we elect, we need to view the world through an issue-based lens rather than one rooted in political parties. If people would be willing to sit down and hold conversations with those who hold opposing viewpoints, we could begin to work together to try and find a middle ground to work with. 

The longer we continue to bicker with each other, the worse it will become for later generations to deal with due to the precedent we set now.  So the best thing to do as citizens is get out there and try to expose yourself to differing views instead of trying to shout them down, and tell your representatives and senators that you want to see them working with those of the opposite party, the common good of all citizens relies on it.

Logan Carr is a freshman studying political science at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Let Logan know by emailing him at lc300918@ohio.edu.