White’s Mill is more than 200 years old. (FILE)

White’s Mill to host first-ever fall festival

White’s Mill, an outdoor staple of Athens, is hosting its first-ever autumn festival Saturday.

The event is called “Awesome Autumn Open House” and will begin at noon. The open house is free and open to the public, though money may be required for some attractions, like the food trucks. The venue is about a 10-minute drive from Ohio University’s campus. Students could also take the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway along the river on foot or on bike. 

“We are offering a cooking demo and book signing by local chef Matt Rapposelli, local beer tasting, and food from the Cajun Clucker food truck,” Tyler Schloss, co-owner of White’s Mill, said. “Local bands will be playing all day, with Laura Nadeau featured. There will also be games and pumpkin painting for kids throughout the day.” 

Matt Rapposelli is known for his cookbook, A Taste of the Hocking Hills, and his restaurant, Big Chimney Baking Company. He worked in Columbus and Cincinnati and as the executive chef at OU. The Cajun Clucker food truck will also be featured, serving Southern delicacies like jambalaya, crawfish etouffee and swamp pops, as well as American classics like burgers.

White’s Mill specializes in home and pet retail, outdoor supplies, flowers, and unique local products from local artists and suppliers. It has been in business for more than 200 years, first as a mill, then later repurposed as a store and attraction in the 1990s. White’s Mill added this event to its calendar, joining its “Back in Time for the Holidays” festival in December. 

Zach Reizes, a senior studying war and peace studies, said he enjoys White’s Mill because of the history of the grounds and his ability to find a unique gift for people who are not from Athens. He recommends the mill to his friends who enjoy local, homegrown products as opposed to chain retailers.

@pigeonchristina

pm428317@ohio.edu