The exterior of Christ the King University Parish, located at 75 Stewart St.

Three priests who served in Athens listed among 17 clergymen accused of sexual abuse

Three of 17 Ohio Catholic clergymen who have admitted to or been accused of sexual abuse of a minor served at Athens churches over a span of about 20 years.

Joseph A. Martinkosky, Robert F. Marrer and Walter Plimmer each served as priests in Athens between 1955 and 1972. They are among the 16 priests and one seminarian listed in a news release from the Roman Catholic Diocese of Steubenville. Those 17 “have been credibly accused or admitted to sexual abuse of a minor and removed from active ministry,” the release reads.

Martinkosky is the most recent of the three to have served in Athens. He served at Christ the King University Parish, 75 Stewart St., in 1972, according to the church’s website. Martinkosky was suspended from ministry in 1991, according to the news release.

Marrer, who is now deceased, served at St. Paul Church, 38 N. College St., in 1966 and at Christ the King from 1966 to 1970, according to the churches’ websites.

Plimmer, who is also deceased, served at Christ the King from 1955 to 1957, according to the church’s website. However, Plimmer was suspended from the ministry in 1956, according to the news release. 

The news release containing the list was released by the diocese Wednesday. It dates back to the diocese’s formation in 1944, the release reads, and most of the cases are decades old. 

“(The list) will help survivors of sexual abuse find the strength to come forward and these innocent victims can begin the process of healing,” Bishop Jeffrey M. Monforton said in the release. “I pledge to do everything possible to protect our youth.”

The list’s release came just a day after Henry Christopher Foxhoven, 45, of Glouster, was charged with eight counts of sexual battery Tuesday in Athens County Municipal Court, according to a previous Post report

The Steubenville diocese contains 13 Ohio counties, including Athens County, according to its website

Christ the King and St. Paul are the only Catholic churches in Athens and exist as one parish. They are two of the five churches in Athens County, according to the diocese’s website.

“I say to the victims and to all, for the actions of those with the care of souls who have acted in these horrible ways, as your bishop, I am very sorry,” Monforton said in the release.

@logan_rmoore

lm849615@ohio.edu