Athens County Sheriff's Office Lt. Aaron Maynard works during 14Fest in 2016. (FILE)

Police Blotter: Pigs trespass on property; chainsaws go missing, suspected to be stolen

Most people worry about other people trespassing on their property, but one local man has to worry about a pig.

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a report of a trespassing pig on Carbondale Road on Thursday.

The man said the pig often trespasses on his property and causes damage. He asked that the area be patrolled to “ensure the pig was not trespassing,” according to the report.

The pig and all piglets were found to be secured in their respective pens. No further action was needed at this time.

Just doing my job

On Tuesday, the sheriff’s office responded to Strouds Run Road for a report of numerous suspicious vehicles and a person along the road.

Deputies patrolled the area and located the “suspicious people,” which were American Electric Power employees working near a substation.

Cut down in their prime

On Friday, deputies responded to Perry Ridge Road for an active dispute. 

The complainant said two people had been staying with them had taken a chainsaw and would not return it. 

On scene, deputies were told that the chainsaw had been missing for over a week. According to the report, the dispute was over suspicion of theft by the house guests, who denied any knowledge of its whereabouts. No chainsaw was found in the possession of the guests.

The complainant asked the house guest to leave and never return, and they agreed to those terms. With no proof of criminal act present at the time, deputies allowed the parties to separate and returned to patrol.

On Sunday, deputies responded to Taylor Ridge Road for a report of chainsaw theft. 

The man said he had been cutting up a tree with the chainsaw and left the it on the front porch of his residence. He said sometime during the morning, someone had taken the chainsaw from his front porch. At this time, authorities have no suspect. 

House sitting

On Nov. 21, deputies responded to Rhoric Road in reference to a theft report.

The woman said her friend was staying at her home while she and her family were on vacation. While they were gone, she believes her friend stole several items from the home. She told deputies that this occurred at the end of October.

The reporting deputy will attempt to locate and interview the suspect, and the case remains under investigation.

Smoke break

The sheriffs office responded to King Road on Thursday for a missing person’s report.

The woman said her family was from out of town and staying at a bed and breakfast. Her adult daughter had gone outside to smoke a cigarette and did not return. 

After searching nearby, the family called deputies. On scene, deputies searched the area and found her in an unoccupied house on the property, according to the report. She said she had gone inside and fallen asleep and didn’t know anyone was looking for her.

The homeowner was contacted but did not want to file any charges for criminal trespass. With the woman located and no criminal action being pursued, deputies returned to patrol.

@Jackieou_ohyeah

jo019315@ohio.edu