Around the Web: Citizen journalism fills gaps for professionals

Although many journalists are upset that citizen journalism has taken away from the mass media’s traditional role as gatekeeper, citizen journalism has been proven to be helpful to get stories out in the open that would have otherwise been looked over or misinterpreted. However, the issue of reliable sources still comes into question when discussing how citizen journalism can effectively serve the general public.

Citizen journalists are crucial to news outlets because they are typically the first ones on the ground when breaking news events happen, and should be respected by professional journalists, whether or not they realize that most of the information received from citizen journalists is ultimately useful.

While on social media, whether you realize it or not, you’re contributing to the work done by professional journalists. Just posting about a life occurrence that is unique to your situation could be news to someone else or could go viral and be seen by a bigger audience than intended. Tools such as Twitter’s Periscope and Facebook Live can capture an event in real time and bring light to a situation that would otherwise only be a case of “she said, he said,” like the Facebook Live stream of the aftermath of the shooting of Philando Castile.

Some journalists like Jeff Achen, executive editor of The UpTake which trains citizen journalists, agree that citizen journalism won’t replace traditional media but will augment it. He also argues that while some news can feel “corporate sponsored” and fabricated, citizen journalists can hold powerful institutions accountable with no one forcing them to portray them in a good light.

Facebook has certain community standards when allowing users to stream events. These standards establish a fine line between when a video is appropriate and when it isn’t. The statement uses the example of someone witnessing a shooting and says that if the feature is used to raise awareness or find the shooter, the stream will be allowed. However, if the stream is used to mock or celebrate the shooting, it will be removed. Facebook Live is not the only one experiencing graphic content being displayed on their streaming service; Twitter’s Periscope has also had videos of suicides and shootings that have proved to be controversial.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg seems to approve of the use of citizen journalism by posting after the Philando Castile shooting saying, “it reminds us why coming together to build a more open and connected world is so important – and how far we still have to go.”

Regardless of the potential for graphic content, citizen journalism can help the public view stories from different perspectives while also helping professional journalists fill in gaps in news that they may have missed. Professional journalists need not fear about their jobs being overshadowed or gotten rid of altogether because there are certain pieces of information that a professional journalist can obtain that a citizen journalist cannot through the use of objectivity and stronger sources. Everyone needs a break from the homogeneous reporting style that mass media uses once in a while and citizen journalism provides that new take and much more.

Charlotte Caldwell is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Charlotte? Email her at cc670717@ohio.edu