Corey Fetty, right, spells the word "goat" during the Drunken Spelling Bee night at Cat's Corner on Nov. 14, 2018. Fetty was the spelling bee champion for the night.

Drunken Spelling Bee provides entertaining fun at Cat’s Corner

Correction appended. 

It’s nothing like your average middle school spelling bee, but it’s a lot more fun.

On late Wednesday nights, students and residents of Athens alike make their way to Cat’s Corner, 110 W. Union St., and enter the bar’s weekly Drunken Spelling Bee, where their spelling skills are put to the test.

Since its establishment this past summer, Drunken Spelling Bee has become a popular evening attraction for anybody of legal drinking age. Kyle Yake, the manager of Cat’s Corner, and one of the owners first heard of the idea being done in Columbus.

“We talked about going to one and seeing how they did it before we did our own, but that never really happened because they do their’s once a month,” Yake said. “So, we brainstormed ideas and ran with how we wanted to do it ourselves.”

There are four rounds of Drunken Spelling Bee, each round containing progressively harder words than the one before. After every round contestants pass, they’re given a hefty shot and can be awarded up to three shots if they make it to the fourth round. Contestants pay $7 to play and receive one of Cat’s Corner’s $2 beers.

“The shots are spaced out so you’re not just slamming them one right after the other,” Yake said. “But the winner always gets one of our T-shirts or one of our beer sponsors, or sometimes a glass or a sticker.”

For the most part, the Drunken Spelling Bee pulls in at least 12 contestants every Wednesday evening. Cat’s Corner cuts the sign-up off at 30 people so the contest doesn’t go all night and people don’t lose interest.

“We’ve had someone in their 60s play and then 21-year-old college students. It’s kind of for everyone as long as you’re of legal drinking age,” Yake said. “It’s definitely not a drunk fest either. We’ve never had anyone get too drunk.”

One of Cat’s Corner’s recent Drunken Spelling Bees had contestants spell the names of different animals. In the first round, they were given words like “dog” and “owl.” Every participant passed the first round, one of them being Natalie McManaway, a freshman at Hocking College studying medical assisting.

McManaway saw an ad for the Drunken Spelling Bee on Facebook and knew she had to come and check it out.

“It’s amazing. I wish I had this kind of support at my middle school spelling bee,” McManaway said. “It’s also very addictive, and I will keep coming back.”

McManaway is not only a fan of the spelling bee, but also the drink deals Cat’s Corner offers with the game.

“They’re absolutely solid. I’ve never paid so little for drinks in my life,” McManaway said. “If I don’t get trapped at karaoke night every Wednesday at the Skull, I will be here every Wednesday, every month, 365 days a year.”

As promised, all of the contestants who passed the first round were awarded a shot to prepare them for round two. The announcer cracked jokes with contestants to help relieve any nerves they might be feeling, creating a more comfortable and fun atmosphere.

Once contestants made it to the third round, a new rule was created. If one person misspelled their word, the person after them would have to try and spell the same word.

The round took out the majority of the contestants, including Emily King, a senior studying psychology. King has been to Cat’s Corner before, but that night was her first time participating in the bar’s Drunken Spelling Bee.

“It was fun,” King said. “The drink deals make it more interesting for sure. I think it’s a good way for them to get more people in because it’s a fun thing to do, taking shots after every round you complete.”

Three people made it to the fourth and final round. Not many words were spelled until Corey Fetty came out on top as the winner. He’s never entered the contest before, but he thought it was a blast.

“It’s fun. There were difficult words, and each round was really different for each person,” Fetty said. “It changed a lot. I never knew what was coming my way.”

Fetty considered himself lucky to get all the way to the end and win, but he would absolutely come back and play again.

“This is a fun place and the drink deals are excellent. You can’t beat it,” Fetty said.

@BayleeDeMuth

bd575016@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report misspelled Corey Fetty’s name. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.