Illustration provided by National Geographic.

Fun News Friday: New dinosaur-era fossil found, tricky cats try to sneak their way into museum

It might have been a shortened week, but you made it through nonetheless. With Thanksgiving Break within reach, get into the relaxation state of mind early and read these fun news stories:

First Snow

Children escaping violence in Eritrea found solace in their first experience with snow.

A family from a refugee camp in Sudan was brought to Canada by the aid of the Ripple Refugee Project. The family, consisting of a mother and her four children, have been living with Ripple Refugee Project spokesperson Rebecca Davies.

Davies had told the family about the weather that happens in Canada, but none of the children nor mother had ever seen snow. When it began to snow outside, Davies told the children.

While two of the children were too afraid to go outside, the other two put on their winter coats and boots to get a closer look.

The children, who are shown in Davies’ video, tilted their heads up to the sky and began to twirl in the snow. They also tried to eat it as their mother watched with a mix of joy and curiosity.

Davies posted the video on Twitter, Reddit and Youtube. On Twitter, the video has been viewed more than 1.85 million times.

A Prehistoric Bird

A recently found fossil in Utah is both one of the largest dinosaur-era birds to be found in North America and the most complete fossil of its species.

The fossil of a enantiornithines, or “opposite bird,” was discovered in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. This fossil isn’t the only enantiornithines. Others have been discovered in parts of Myanmar and China, but none compare to the recent discovery in Utah. The opposite bird fossil found in Utah puts the bird at about the size of a turkey vulture.

The skeleton is estimated to be about 75 million years old. Around 30 percent of the fossil is intact, which helps reveal new details about the bird’s flight capabilities.

Clever Cats

For about two years, a pair of cats has been trying to sneak into the Hiroshima Onomichi City Museum. Their attempts to sneak past security are still unsuccessful, but have grown popular on Twitter.

The account @bijutsu1 documents the two cats trying to get into the museum everyday. The shenanigans began back in the summer of 2016 when a black cat appeared outside the museum. Eventually, an orange cat began to tag along.

The guards always refuse to let the cats enter. When the cats draw near, the guards try to turn them in the opposite direction or pick them up and bring them back outside, as seen in numerous videos posted on Twitter. But, sometimes the guards stop and give the cats a quick pet before sending them on their way.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu