Ohio guard Jason Preston (#0) passes the ball during the game against Campbell on Nov. 12.

Men's Basketball: Scouting preview for the Bobcats' first road test against South Florida

Ohio plays South Florida on Friday in the second game of the Jersey Mike’s Jamaica Classic at Montego Bay. The Bobcats beat Campbell in the first game of the classic Monday at The Convo, winning 81-73. 

Tipoff is set for 4:30 p.m. Below is how to watch the game, scouting reports, player to watch and the key to the game. 

The game

Where: Montego Bay Convention Centre, 4:30 p.m. tipoff

How to watch: CBS Sports Network

How to listen: Ohio IMG Sports Network

The opposition

USF beat Alabama A&M, 80-63, in its first game of the season. In game two, the Bulls went to overtime with Austin Peay, winning 74-70. They went 10-22 last season, finishing with the worst record in the American Athletic Conference. 

Coach Brian Gregory is in his second season with USF after previous stops with Dayton and Georgia Tech. The Bobcats and Bulls will meet for the third time Friday, with Ohio leading the series 2-0. 

The last time two met was on March 8, 2012, in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament. The Bobcats came away with the 62-56 victory to advance to the Sweet Sixteen.

Scouting report

Ohio Bobcats (2-0)

PROJECTED LINEUP (Player Pos. HT., Key Statistic Per Game): Jason Preston (G, 6-3, 175, 4.0 steals per game), Jason Carter (G/F, 6-8, 220, 20.5 points per game), Teyvion Kirk (G, 6-4, 185, 7.0 assists per game), Antonio Cowart Jr. (G, 6-2, 175, 6.0 rebounds per game), Doug Taylor (F, 6-9, 248, 10.5 rebounds per game). 

South Florida Bulls (2-0)

PROJECTED LINEUP: LaQuincy Rideau (G, 6-1, 209, 7.5 assists per game), David Collins (G, 6-3, 208, 16.0 points per game), T.J. Lang (G, 6-7, 213, 12.5 points per game), Alexis Yetna (F, 6-8, 231, 6.5 rebounds per game), Michael Durr (F, 7-0, 245, 7 rebounds per game). 

Player to watch

Jason Carter — the redshirt freshman scored a team-high 24 points against Campbell and is the Bobcats’ best player. If Carter finds success, Ohio will too. Especially with a successful game beyond the arc, Carter will be able to use the open driving lanes effectively. 

KEY TO THE GAME

Win. It’s the first road game of the season for both teams. The Bobcats are young, but so are the Bulls. It will be interesting to see how Ohio plays away from the confines of The Convo for the first time this season. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu