Ohio forward Jason Carter drives to the hoop in the first half of the Bobcats’ game against Campbell on Monday.

Men's Basketball: Ohio defeats Campbell 81-73 behind scoring from Jason Carter, Ben Vander Plas

Behind the resurgence of Jason Carter and Ben Vander Plas, Ohio defeated Campbell 81-73 on Monday night in The Convo. It was the first game of the Jersey Mike’s Jamaica Classic. 

The two forwards combined for 38 points and seven rebounds. Carter scored 18 of his 24 points in the second half, while Vander Plas provided offensive production in the first half. It’s a duo that Ohio coach Saul Phillips was excited to see thrive. 

With 12:50 to play, Gavin Block hit a 3-pointer to put Ohio up 49-46 — a lead the Bobcats would hold on to for the rest of the game — and Carter provided the assist. 

Whenever the Camels chipped away at the Bobcats lead, it was usually Carter or Vander Plas who responded. Teyvion Kirk finished with 13 points and five assists, and Doug Taylor finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds, his first double-double of the season. 

Ohio’s (2-0) defense allowed just 32 second-half points. The Bobcats finished the game shooting 39 percent from the field and closed out the game by shooting 67 percent from the free-throw line. 

At the half, Campbell (1-2) led 41-35, with the Bobcats trailing for the entirety of the first half. 

Ohio opened the game 0-of-3 from the field and finished the first half shooting 41.2 percent from the field. The Camels played a full court 1-2-2 press for most of the game, which took time for Ohio to become adjusted to. 

With 10:29 left in the half, Ohio was one of its last eight from the field and down 23-11. The Bobcats responded by finishing the half with 22 more points, doubling points scored in the last 10 minutes. 

Vander Plas gave the Bobcats life off the bench in the first half, hitting back-to-back 3-pointers to put them within a point with 1:11 remaining. 

Ohio heads to Montego Bay, Jamaica, on Wednesday for the second and third games of the Jamaica Classic. Ohio is set to take on South Florida on Friday at 4:30 p.m. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu