Ohio's Gavin Block (#22) jumps and catches the ball during their game against Iona on Tuesday, Nov. 27. The Bobcats won 89-65.

Men's Basketball: Gavin Block back to himself in win over Iona

Gavin Block positioned himself a few feet away from the top of key, hands ready to catch a pass and shoot the ball. 

The ball came his way, and he knocked down the shot. Nothing but net. 

No hesitation, no celebration and no emotion. After the ball hit the floor, he backpedaled down the court onto defense. Block was back to his old self Tuesday night, coming off the bench and finishing with 13 points and five rebounds as Ohio throttled Iona 89-65 at The Convo. 

“I definitely felt the confidence boost (when he hit the 3-pointer),” he said. “I wasn’t thinking. I just went out there and played today. I’ve been overthinking lately, it’s something I’ve been struggling with.”

Block didn’t seem himself until Tuesday night, the 13 points were a season-high. 

This past offseason, the senior went through multiple surgeries after last season’s beating of his body. He started 25 of 31 games last season, played in every game and averaged 30.4 minutes per game, forcing himself to play through injury for a large chunk of the season because of Ohio’s lack of depth. 

He wasn’t able to start this season off fresh because his last surgery’s recovery time rolled into preseason practices. It hindered his court time, too, and when he was on the court, he was cautious of his limits. 

The slow start put him in a role off the bench — one he’s adjusted to, but not one he’s familiar with. Entering Tuesday’s game, Block had scored 25 points through five games. The numbers were boosted by his 11 points on Sunday against Austin Peay. 

“I’m finally feeling good physically,” he said. “I’m getting back to myself, getting my legs back under me. Getting back to basics. Everything feels good once everything gets going.”

On Tuesday, Block was in full effect. 

He knocked down three 3-pointers on four attempts. He muscled his way through defenders for rebounds. Block also found himself comfortable enough to take a few charges, his best move on the court. 

Taking a charge is something he’s done throughout his career as a Bobcat. It’s nothing new, but it gives him and the team a boost from time to time, and it puts the opposing team in unwanted foul trouble. 

Block’s perfected the move because he’s the first to admit he wasn’t put on the basketball court to jump high to block shots. That’s how he’s effective on the defensive side of the ball. 

“I’m comfortable with it (coming off the bench),” Block said. “What matters is who is going to be in there at the end and in big time situations. I think as of late 

Having Block back at his best helps the whole team, coach Saul Phillips said after the game. Block’s able to provide leadership on the court, and he’s adjusted to his number being called at the 16 minute mark instead of during “Lights out in The Convo,” when the starting lineups are announced.

There’s no true timetable when Block may be found in the starting lineup. He makes players better around him, Ben Vander Plas even took a couple charges Tuesday night. But knocking down a 3-pointer when needed was the sign that Block’s back to his old-self. 

That’s something that Block will be the first to admit, and with a smile, too. 

“That was a very Gavin game,” Phillips said. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu