Antonio Cowart Jr. dunks during the second half of the Bobcats game against Rio Grande on Nov. 3.

Men's Basketball: The numbers from Ohio's season opening win over Wilberforce

Ohio opened the regular season with a 97-61 win over Wilberforce on Wednesday. The Bobcats never trailed, and they start the season 1-0.

The Post looked at numbers that stood out from the win.

10 — Number of Bobcats who scored

Jason Carter and Teyvion Kirk led all scorers with 17 points each. The Bobcats played 13 players, and all but three made the scoring category of the stat sheet.

4 — Number of Bobcats in double figures

Not only did Kirk and Carter impress, but two others did as well: Ben Vander Plas had 16 points in his first game back from last season’s injury, and Jason Preston had 10 in his Ohio debut.

32 — Number of rebounds combined for Vander Plas, Carter and Doug Taylor. 

Ohio’s three big men had an impressive start to this season. The three of them out-rebounded Wilberforce 32-25. Ohio will need good post play and rebounding skills moving forward, and those three could be a good start.

25 percent — Ohio’s 3-point percentage

As well as the Bobcats played and as lopsided as the game was, they only shot 25 percent from beyond the arc; they were 6 of 24. Vander Plas hit two of those six 3s, a welcome sign for coach Saul Phillips, who hopes the big man can stretch the floor with his outside scoring ability.

14 — Number of Ohio turnovers

On the stat sheet, the turnovers seem alarming for the Bobcats. But upon a closer look, nine of those 14 came in the second half when the game was well out of reach. Even then, Carter and Kirk had four turnovers each, a number they’ll surely want to see decrease.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu